Confused :-(

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Confused :-(

Postby penny_babe2001 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 am

Hi, I'm new here. Sorry for the essay coming, but I'm really quite confused!
I was diagnosed PCOS almost 20 years ago. Scans then and since have also confirmed that over the years. I've never been treated for it apart from being given Clomid to conceive my first 2 children (now 18 and 13. Youngest, 9, was natural conception).
A few months ago I went to my GP to ask for a trial of Metformin cos I was fed up with the symptoms of the PCOS ( weight gain/unable to lose it, excess hair, thinning hair, skin troubles, awful periods). He refused the Metformin but sent me for a scan. Yesterday I got the report which says ovaries normal :? I didn't think PCOS went away?? So now he's saying that cos the scan was clear (except for a fibroid) that I don;t have PCOS and won't do anything to help me!

Does it go away?? My last scan before the recent one was only a few years ago, well after I had my last child, so it didn't go with pregnancy. I'm all very confused! Does it come and go depending on where in the cycle you are? Could it be they scanned at a time it wouldn't show? I'm surprised it was normal; my left ovary had done a disappearing act last scan and that's where the pain is.

TIA,
Sue
penny_babe2001

Re: Confused :-(

Postby Hols969 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 pm

No.... you are correct in your thinking. Cysts are only a symptom and can come and go, unfortunately because of the misleading name everyone assumes the cysts are the cause but they aren't (I think when it was first called PCOS it WAS thought that it was the cysts but further research has show that they are not the cause and not every pcos lady has them anyway).

There is differing opinions on if metformin works from a pcos point of view as well. Our advisors have said it works on such a small amount of ladies that it should really only be given out if you are insulin resistant and not as a pcos drug as it is not licenced for pcos.

Unfortunately you may need to go and educate your GP further in the condition I am afraid.... like many of us....
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby penny_babe2001 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks for replying.
I wanted to try the Metformin as I'd been getting a lot of diabetes type symptoms but the diabetes tests came back negative, so my thinking was it could be insulin resistance which would show the same (and agreed by my endocrinologist). I'd been on a short course years ago and it helped the weight a bit. I suffer with my thyroid too, so any help in the weight department is very welcome!
I'd only finished a period shortly before the scan too, which I guessed might affect what cysts were there.
Time to find some info to print out for the GP - I can see a fight coming on :-(
penny_babe2001

Postby Hols969 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Did you have the double blood test with a sugary drink in between as that is the one you need really to see if you have IR, I bet you didn't..... Good luck.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby penny_babe2001 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Not had anything, just fasting blood tests that showed my glucose level going up each time and a HbA1c which is usually only done for people with diabetes, but they were ordered by a locum GP at the practise and the normal GP's dismissed it all.
penny_babe2001

Return to Verity Cafe