newly diagnosed looking for answer's

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

newly diagnosed looking for answer's

Postby terrie2k9 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Hello all iv just been diagnosed with pcos after having no period for 2 and half years. I have battled with the doctor to get to this point and now been given 3 different lots of tablets. Metfomin which iv been on for over a year but dose been up from 1000mg to 2000mg per day. I'm also over weight so been given olasta to help with weight loss and also another tablets to induce periods. What I really want to know is can it get better? Me and my partner want a child but there is no use trying at the moment I just need to hear that other people have got better to help me deal with it all xx
terrie2k9

Re: newly diagnosed looking for answer's

Postby Hols969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 pm

It can improve but there is no 'cure', weight gain can improve the symptoms for some ladies but not all as we have slim pcos ladies as well. It is really important you have 4 periods a year to keep your uterus healthy so ask your GP for Provera to force a bleed. They key for weight loss really is little and often as we store fat very efficiently and easily, also avoid all white pasta, bread etc as this makes the symptoms worse. Also watch your sugar intake as well as this makes it worse. You need to find a diet that suits you really, some ladies love Weight Watchers (I couldn't lose much with it), others like Slimming World which I have never tried. Are you on the contraceptive pill currently, have you asked to be referred to fertility to get your partners sperm checked as well as 1/3 of fertility issues are now men unfortunately which can make it a bit more tricky. Its pretty rare not to conceive purely because of PCOS, we are not infertile, just sometimes need a bit more help.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe