A wee hello...and kick up my own backside!

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

A wee hello...and kick up my own backside!

Postby aarrbeee » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Hello everyone!

I've decided, after being a 'lurker' for many years to stand up and say hello! I'm hoping in doing so it will be the wee kick up my bahookie that I need to start changing myself.

A little backstory about me...I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16 and i'm nearly 31 now. After a few years of "yippee! No periods!", I went on the pill to regulate and use as contraception. Came off them a year or so later and had another batch of "yippee! No periods!". Was not in any kind of situation where I was thinking about seriously having children so was quite easy to put PCOS to the back of mind and only remember about it when I was justifying my weight gain (am I the only one that uses the condition as an excuse!?). Fast forward to my mid twenties where I eventually thought I should do something about it and went to see the Gynae. She put me on Metformin, which I suffered from terrible side effects. Came off that as still not in a position where I was thinking about children.

Unfortunately my stupidity has caught up with me. I'm now 30, on Yasmin to control my periods, overweight by about 6 stone and have finally met "the one" who I would really love to try and have children with. I also really struggle with my relationship with food and lack of willpower, so losing weight has been a losing battle...literally! BUT...right now i'm filled with positivity (long may it continue), I have finally cracked the spines on all the PCOS books I have collected over the years and i'm trying to do something about it. But, bloody hell, it's hard!

So, hello everyone! Hopefully my journey will have a positive end to it and hopefully the support I see everyone else getting will help me too!
aarrbeee

Re: A wee hello...and kick up my own backside!

Postby Lianne9 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi,

could you let me know which books you found the most useful, please? I am mainly looking for one that explains which kinds of food I should and should not eat and whether there are any herbal remedies that can aid me as well. I am on the Yasmin pill but other than this, I try to be "natural" so I am not looking for a book that will sell me lots of supplements that I need to take in tablets or a book that discusses the condition in length but does not explain how to deal with it (I am also a practical rather than a theoretical person ;) )

Thanks!

Carmen
Lianne9

Re: A wee hello...and kick up my own backside!

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:13 pm

It is hard - one diet I would recommend is the 5:2 - once you get your head around it is is easy. So for 2 days you eat a max of 500 calories and then eat normally for the rest. Now normally for me is not going OTT so I do watch what I eat on the other days (I dont tend to have carbs at night and havent done for years).

Well done though for grabbing it head on. I do think a lot of people use pcos as an excuse but losing weight can be quite tough and the biggest issue is the motivation because it can be slow.

Stick to low GI as a rule and cut out all white carbs as they make pcos symptoms worse. Also get your partner on track too as 1/3 of fertility issues are now men.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe