Well that explains a lot.

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Well that explains a lot.

Postby LittleFawn » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi,

I am new here, I have been lurking for a while just to gain information, but i want to share my story and talk with similar people to me :)

Basically I've been in and out of the doctors most of my teenage life, and now 23 I have only just been diagnosed with PCOS, a few months ago. I begged them to do something about my symptoms for years but was always dismissed and sent away.

After having no periods at all for a few years now, I went back to a new doctor and she was shocked about the amount of time they had been ignoring "I'm not having my period". I started late at 14, and they were heavy and always irregular. They got less and less, until now at 23 I don't have one anymore.
I have been on and off the pill since I was 18. Sometimes having withdrawal bleeds, sometimes not.
So they did some blood tests and found out I have slightly more than average testosterone. Then I went for a scan and there they were... Two ovaries riddled with cysts.

I've always found it hard to lose weight and put it on if I just think about food. I was always overweight as a teenager but I managed to lose it (and kept it off woo!!) in the past 4 years. I have extreme emotional problems and am going to a psychiatrist.
All in all I've struggled severely in my life and this crappy condition is to blame. I feel better knowing that I have it because of all the health problems can be explained.

I just worry a lot about all different aspects of it. I don't want kids at the moment, but I worry about for when I do want them. I also worry about my weight long term, because I've always exercised and not really eaten enough to warrant how much I weighed. I'm 5ft as well, so the weight is very noticeable. I've been able to lose and maintain it on and off the pill but all I read is "If you have PCOS you can and WILL become obese no matter what" which depresses me because I'm very strict with my diet and exercise.
LittleFawn

Re: Well that explains a lot.

Postby Nessie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi,

I am also new here, I only joined today. Your story is similar go mine, in the way I have been treated by doctors in the past which is why I am reluctant to go back again.

I am at my wits end about my weight, it doesn't matter what I do, I'm just getting bigger and bigger. I'm only 25, and also worried about the future. My boyfriend and I started the same meal plans and exercise regimes last year, and while he lost nearly two stone, I gained over 3st! I've recently started it again but it's still not helping. Can I ask how you lost the weight last time?

Can I also ask which pill you are on?

I know it's a silly thought, but try not to worry too much about the symptoms (weight gain/pregnancy etc) as I've always found worrying about them in the past has made my symptoms worse.
Nessie

Return to Verity Cafe