PCOS on USS but hormones normal

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

PCOS on USS but hormones normal

Postby jodieemily » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:20 pm

So i have just received a phone call from my gp telling me that my hormone levels came back normal but i can make an appointment to discuss this with them.
my USS showed up with multiple cysts and the surgeons said that it looked like PCOS.
I have all the symptoms associated with it as iv discussed in a few other threads, irregular painful periods my cycle tends to be between 32 and 40 days with one of them being 82 days, Weight gain and difficulty loosing weight, acne, mood swings & depression, fatigue, low immunity - iv read that some other pcos women have complained of this.
I have also been experiencing some right lower abdo/ovarian pain.
the only PCOS symptoms i dont have at present is hirutism and im not aware of any insulin resistance however havnt had any tests for this yet.
im just feeling a bit rubbish as i was hoping i could get a proper diagnosis so i could starting dealing with it properly.
jodieemily

Re: PCOS on USS but hormones normal

Postby Hols969 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Blood tests frequently come back normal so that's no surprise, if they saw cysts then you have your diagnosis really, especially as you have a number of classic symptoms as well.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby jodieemily » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Thank you! I bet your fed up of seeing all my posts on here lol! I will badger my doctor iv started reading the pcos ultimate guide (or something like that) and its helping me take control and motivating me with my dietary choices!
jodieemily

Postby Hols969 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 pm

No don't be daft, I've learnt so much along the way which you will too - we tend to know far more than the gp's so if they say you don't have pcos then ask how they have come to that conclusion!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby jodieemily » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:14 pm

I went to the doctors today and he has said that I do have pcos despite my hormone levels being normal! Major relief! I felt like I was being crazy linking everything in with it! Hes said as I have had 9 periods in the last 12 months I dont currently need any treatment for that, hes given me some topical gel for my acne and is pleased with my 10lbs weight loss and has said to keep up with that! I was motivated already prior to all this so knowing I have a condition that can be helped with weightloss motivates me even more! 4lbs till I hit the stone mark! Im praying I can loose another stone before my hol in 40 days but I dont know how realistic that is! I feel crazy being relieved at my diagnosis but it has explained so much! The doctor said my pain would have been from a larger cyst but as its improving not to worry and to go back if it happens again! Does this sound right? I know a lot of people have mentioned endometriosis
thank you for all your support!
jodieemily

Postby Hols969 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 am

That's good news. As for the diet front, just eat little and often as our body tend to go into storage mode quite easily because of the pcos so it keeps your metabolism higher. Eat bits of carrot or pepper every hour as this keeps the metabolism higher, well done on the weight loss, it can be a struggle but you have a hols to look forward to so hopefully you can keep the motivation going. Im off on hols on Sunday and have lost 3/4 of a stone which is about all I need to lose, just could do with toning, but a bit late now!!
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe