Struggling - Advice needed please!

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Struggling - Advice needed please!

Postby kohat74 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello - I was diagnosed with PCOS many years ago, but am now (bit late in the day) trying to take it a bit more seriously. however am feeling a bit despondent and hitting a brick wall! I am doing loads of exercise and watching everything that i eat, but it's been a month and literally, nothing has shifted! I have literally lost 0 kilos. while i am happy to be a fitter person, i just cannot understand why this is.

So...my question is any advice out there for what else i need to be doing? I don't use pills for instance (I have an IUD, was never great at remembering to take pills). I have started this journey and don't want to give up, but it just feels like nothing has really shifted.
kohat74

Re: Struggling - Advice needed please!

Postby Hols969 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:32 am

Are you calorie counting at all or doing a food diary. Things like white carbs and sugar make the pcos symptoms worse and help us store fat very efficiently. Even if we were on the RDA we would still gain 2lb a month because of how our body stores fat so we do need to eat less than a non pcos lady just to remain the same weight. Little and often is good so it keeps our metabolism higher.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby kohat74 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:49 pm

hello - thanks for replying! yes - i have been religiously entering everything on myfitnesspal.com - this is why i am a bit flummoxed. i know that I am not consuming more than 1200-1400 calories per day, and have been very careful to steer clear of the big carbs. I have really cut out sugary snacks, but to be honest i never really ate much of that to begin with. We don't have things like cakes/biscuits in the house ever (kids complain about this quite a lot!). I suppose i was wondering if anyone else had hit this wall too, and what they had done to get over it.
kohat74

Postby Hols969 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:47 pm

Aaah my son has his own cupboard for his stuff and I make myself think Im stealing from him if I eat anything!!! One thing I would say is that perhaps if you are exercising then you are not eating enough. I found exercise confused matters for me and I stuck to 1400 a day (but did an hours exercise a day) and actually Im pretty sure my body did not think I was eating enough and its really disheartening when you put lots of effort in diet and exercise wise and then lose nothing (I then used to binge a bit as I was so disappointed). The only diet I lost weight with was the Norah Lane diet and lost 3 stone, 2 within 3 months, its the only one that has worked for me (obviously doesn't suit everyone). The other thing to look at is portion size, I was quite shocked when I went to a Verity conference and the dietician showed how much pasta you should it... I had triple that probably, so I rarely have pasta and rice now, mainly potato as I can control how much I eat better.

We can lose weight but it can be slower so you have to keep mega motivated which is difficult when you try hard and don't lose. Make sure you have a mid morning snack and mid after noon and nibble bits of carrot or pepper to try and keep your metabolism higher as our metabolic rate is slower than the norm.

The other thing I would recommend is taking your measurements as you may be losing inches. Problem is when you exercise then you create more muscle which is heavier than fat so the scales are not always that accurate. Do you feel any better or any slimmer in your clothes?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby kohat74 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks Hols - that's a really helpful response. Yes it is really disheartening! I will look at the norah lane diet too (i can see that there is lots of info on the threads) - i do feel fitter and actually my body shape is definitely changing, legs are slimmer etc. so it is having a good affect. but i do need need to lose a bit more weight now too. will also take my measurements (didn't do that as recommended at the beginning of my new workout regime!). I had always believed garfield on this one (diet is die with a t on the end), but will just have to get over it and do some dieting! thanks for replying.
kohat74

Return to Verity Cafe