Need some advice!

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Need some advice!

Postby NNoble27 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Hoping someone might be able to offer me some advice.

I've not been diagnosed with PCOS however a few years ago, at age 15, I suffered from a large cyst on my right ovary that had me in hospital three times, once to have it drained. While I was there they threw around the term "polycystic" a few times but as I was on medication for acne they never went any further.

I'm nineteen now and on recommendation from a friend who has PCOS I've been looking at it and attempting to make a doctor's appointment. My periods have never been exactly regular even though I've been having them since I was 10 but they've never been later than 4 weeks. I'm now entering the fourth month since I last had one and have no signs of it coming. I have noticed twinges where my cyst was years ago which led me to believe the lack of bleeding could be due to that.

Upon looking up PCOS I noticed I fit many of the criteria - my skin has been terrible since I was eleven (hence the medication - I was told I had persistent resistent acne), my weight seems to never go down no matter how hard I try, and I seem to be gaining more. I've also noticed thicker, darker hairs growing on my chest and a few have started on my cheeks and chin.

I've been trying to get a doctors appointment for the past two weeks but being Christmas, when they weren't shut they booked up very fast and I have yet to get in to see them. I was hoping someone might be able to offer me advice in the meantime until I can get in to see someone about what I could do?

Many thanks.
NNoble27

Re: Need some advice!

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:51 pm

The cysts that need removing or reducing are actually different to PCOS cysts (which are actually follicles and its extremely rare for them to need any intervention as they usually disperse naturally back into the body). I would go to the GP and say you have these symptoms and ask for blood tests and a scan. Don't let them fob you off that you have periods, so did I and mine were anything from 2-11 days late but I rarely ovulated (Ive been diagnosed for about 20 or so years). The difficulty with blood tests is they can come back normal and the scan can show no cysts (as they are only a symptom and not the cause so the name is very misleading) but you can be diagnosed by symptoms alone.

Good luck, you do need to be firm with some GP's as they are still not that clued up on it unfortunately so know your facts before you go in!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby NNoble27 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:54 pm

Well I finally got into the doctors about two weeks ago, and after having to wait a week to have my blood taken and then wait for the results to come in, I received my diagnosis last Friday and have officially been confirmed to have PCOS. I'm quite proud of the doctor though - he automatically jumped to it when I told him about my lack of periods and he noticed my acne - he didn't even ask about any of the other stuff until after he'd told me it was likely to be PCOS and he'd send me for bloods. When they did come back, I was originally told they were normal but when the doctor asked me to come in (a different one this time), she told me that my testosterone was raised in comparison to my other hormones, but that they were all still in the expected levels hence the receptionist telling me I was fine. Fortunately, I didn't need a scan either - she was quite happy diagnosing me based on my medical history (apparently those cysts in the past were ones I'd bled into so whether or not they were caused by the PCOS, she classed them as evidence of polycystic)

I now have been told that basically I probably won't have a natural period again and have been put on the patch to see how well I cope with that, since I've reacted to Dianette, Microgynon and Mercilon pills negatively in the past (migraines and skin reactions) and been advised to try to lose some weight if at all possible to help me control it. It's just a case of me looking up diets and finding things to help with exercise now!
NNoble27

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 pm

yey you are official!! Im not sure how good the patch is, you may want to ask Meringoo as she knows quite a bit about what is good for pcos and what is awful!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Verity Cafe