Hello

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Hello

Postby dumpling44 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:46 am

Hello, just thought I would introduce myself. I'm 43 now and was diagnosed in my early to mid thirties.
The symptoms of PCOS I suffer are weight problems (I'm about twice the weight I should be for my height), excess facial hair (also male pattern body hair growth), thinning hair on my scalp and I have a cyst on my left ovary.
Since the age of 36 I have been trying for a baby with my fiancé and although it has not happened, all my fertility tests say I should conceive naturally.
I really need to lose weight to better my chances, but find this really difficult because I seem tired all the time, lethargic and just have no energy at all.
That on top of my fiancé having problems with his sperm and my age has put me into a deep depression.
dumpling44

Re: Hello

Postby carrieanne watson » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Hello Dumpling
My name is CarrieAnne, thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear that you and your partner havent conceived yet. I can imagine how upsetting it is when your tests come back to say that you can conceive naturally yet it hasnt happened. I also need to lost weight and yes it is very difficult. Especially when you feel so tired and you literally have no energy at all. Have you thought about IVF at all? Life is never fair.
CarrieAnne

p.s dont give up
carrieanne watson
Local Group Leader

Postby dumpling44 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:14 pm

At my last appointment with the gynaecologist I was told I have "ovarian failure"...that was a big shock to me, but she explained that I have low egg reserves. Up until then I was told everything was fine!
My partner has problems with his sperm so we were told ICSI is the way to go...just can't afford it! :(
dumpling44

Postby Hols969 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:30 pm

What tests did you have done for them to say you had low egg reserves out of interest as this is not the norm with PCOS (and something relatively recently that they have found out) and it is the only good thing about it that our egg quality remains better for longer and we have more eggs than most..... Have they just 'presumed' that because of your age??

How many tests has your partner had, is his health/diet generally good? My hubbie also had sperm issues and we were borderline for IUI but by the time we got around to doing the IUI his sperm had improved by over 100% by making his diet better and eating anything and everything that had zinc in it. I did conceive 2nd attempt IUI and the difference between the two attempts was I lost a stone and also had reflexology. If only live was that simple sometimes, especially when you are told you need something and there is no way you can afford it, its horrible. Funnily enough I know someone who has recently conceived via her 10th IVF cycle (and it will be twin boys). She could afford it more than most as she is a vet. Have you also thought about egg sharing, where you get treatment for free but share your eggs, I don't know what you need to qualify though.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby dumpling44 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:44 pm

I've had various tests (all sorts) over the years and in all the time I've been going it was only during my last visit that I was told this. Up until then I was told everything was fine (and quite good for my age) and that I should conceive naturally. I put the bad news I received down to my age (43). We have been trying for 7 years now. We presumed the problem was down to my partner's sperm (as this is what his results showed) - this we put down to the fact that he smokes and drinks and hasn't got a good diet. He's cutting the alcohol down and will be giving up smoking soon...I hope! He is funny with fruit and vegetables, so doesn't eat a lot at all. I need to lose some weight too. I just don't know how long I have left now I have been told this. I have another appointment in November. I did think about freezing some of my eggs, but when I mentioned this to my doctor she asked why I would want to do this and not just go straight for ICSI and not to make any decision until after my November appointment.
dumpling44

Postby dumpling44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Today I got told the worst possible news - that I might never be a mother. After all the tests I've had done and with "ovarian failure", things don't look good. The major factor is age and that's the one thing I can't do anything about.
This news has devastated me as I lived in hope that there was still a chance it would happen. I've been having tests for quite a while and today the doctor checked back over my results and said it showed that I had ovarian failure a year ago, but I was only told recently. This has now made me angry because had I been told a year ago, I would possibly had a better chance then going for IVF than now (a year later).
dumpling44

Postby Hols969 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:26 pm

I don't blame you, worth complaining to I thing, I would also be inclined to get a second opinion as they sound as if they don't know their ar*e from their elbow.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby dumpling44 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:00 pm

I really don't know who to complain to. She said she can refer me to a clinic for a consultation for IVF but said they won't tell me any different to what she already told me.
My thought for a while has been that at least if I get some eggs frozen then I have a bit of time to play with because with each passing month I have less and less and time is passing me by while I sort myself out, etc.
I have to lose weight because she told me that they won't treat me if i'm overweight. Though when I mentioned this to her (and to my doctor), they were both of the opinion that it's a waste of time. Surely not because once they're frozen they're not going anywhere, whereas each time I have a period each month, i'm losing m eggs. She also told me that because we're born with all our eggs, my eggs are now "old" (43).
I can be referred by her, or chose a clinic myself. Though if i'd been told this a year or more ago (when they first found out I had "ovarian failure" from tests, I could have done something a year or more ago and for that I am so angry. Thankyou for your support Hols.
dumpling44

Postby dumpling44 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I went to the Zita West fertility clinic & she basically said egg donation or just try naturally - as much sex as possible / at the right time as there's no point in having my eggs frozen as they aren't at their best at my age - and for this reason also it's not worth trying ICSI or IVF.....so I just have to hope for the best - my doctor said to use the turkey bastor!
dumpling44

Postby Hols969 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Oh that's not such good news, would you consider egg donation?
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby dumpling44 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 am

I don't think so... :(
dumpling44

Return to Verity Cafe