Real Magazine

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Real Magazine

Postby CathyW » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:01 pm

Good article on PCOS in the current issue of Real. I was interviewed by phone by the journalist and there are a couple of case studies which haven't been 'sensationalised'. Verity gets plenty of mentions which is all to the good. Still seems strange seeing my name in print!

Catherine
CathyW

Postby fee » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:00 pm

Hi,
I just the artical in 'real' and enjoyed it!
One thing i was wondering though is about the 'avoid microwaving meals in plastic containers or drinking from a plastic beaker as PCOS sufferers are sensitive to the chemicals this produces' Ive never heard that before - does anyone know what it is supposed to do?
fee

Real magazine

Postby Sonia » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:13 pm

Hi Fee

I'd heard that one also. I think avoiding plastics is also mentioned in one of the PCOS books. Not sure how we are affected directly but I'll be looking for glass containers for food storage in the new year.

The things we have to consider....................
Sonia

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:56 am

Plastic contains substances that mimic oestrogen (phthlates) and are thought to be a contributing factor in the rise in breast, prostrate and other cancers and the fall in sperm counts. When plastic is warmed (eg in a microwave) then the oestrogen mimicing substances leech into the food. It's particularly bad to keep meat wrapped in plastic.

I guess what the article was saying is that if you've got wobbly hormones, the last thing you need is dodgy plastic hormones in your food.

If you put oestrogen and plastic into google, there's lots of info, but mostly relating to cancers.
Thumper

Return to Verity Cafe