Recently Diagnosed

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Recently Diagnosed

Postby kerry1780 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:22 pm

Hi! My name is Kerry, I'm 24 and I live in Cornwall with my partner and 3 year old daughter, Liberty.

I was diagnosed with PCOS last week, after an 11 month wait with the local NHS hospital to have the internal scan done.

I was very unsure of what PCOS was and where to go for advice. I came across this website and immediately registerd.

All of a sudden I no longer feel alone and many things have fallen into place. Eg; Why i get spots as an adult, why I've had irregular periods since I was a teenager, and no matter how hard I try it is difficult for me to lose weight!!

I look forward to hearing other peoples stories and how you all deal with PCOS.

Bye for now
Kerry1780
kerry1780

Postby Smat » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:34 pm

Hi Kerry,
Isn't it great when suddenly all the different symptoms 'click' into a diagnosis, and then you find all these other women who are going through exactly the same thing!
These discussion boards are very new, but with new members every day, it won't be long till we have a real community on here, so there will be plenty of people to ask for advice!
xx Smat xx
Smat

Postby Lindsay » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:32 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed a few years ago (so am not recently diagnosed), but I was very upset when I found out. I had not had a period for about 8 months when I came off the pill when I got married and the doctor told me to go away and come back in a few months. I did and again the doctor said that it was no big deal and to come back again in another few months. This time however i told the doctor that I had had a similar experience when I had a break from the pill about five years earlier - no period for about a year and that the doctor at the time had taken blood samples but i had never heard anything and so assumed all was fine. The doctor looked back in my medical notes and just announced that the test which had been done years ago had a note attached to it saying that I had polycystic ovarian syndrome. That was how I found out and the doctor just said that I might find it difficult to conceive. I was quite worried (obviously) but the doctor was very unsympathetic and just said it was no big deal. I was very upset and felt I had no one to ask what it all meant. This site is useful so that women in the position I was in can hopefully find some answers, and some sympathy!

L
x
Lindsay

Postby TheMistress » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:36 am

"no big deal" :?: Remarks like that are so infuriating :!:

Reading what you wrote Lindsay brought back some fleshbacks of som many encouters with ignorant doctors... What I learned over the years, with regards to PCOS and other medical issues is that we MUST MUST MUST educate ourselves so we are going to see docors when we are well informed and work WITH them on managing our conidition instead of letting THEM manage US. :evil:

You have a lot of sympathy here!!!

-Yael xxx
TheMistress

Finally a diagnosis

Postby Kim » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:10 pm

Hi There

My Name is Kim, I'm 29 and live with my husband and 2 year old daughter. Despite trying to convince doctors that I can tick every box in the descriptions of PCOS for the past 7 years, I yesterday got my diagnosis!

I have been put on Metformin initially, Has anyone else been put on this and how did it work for them?

Took my first tablet this morning, so relieved as I was getting to the point of giving up and assuming that it was all in my head!

I must say that the doctors I have seen so far seem totally unaware of the condition and the complications it causes.

Kim
Kim

Return to Verity Cafe