Venous sampling - has anyone else had this done?

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Venous sampling - has anyone else had this done?

Postby fee » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:43 pm

Two weeks ago I had venous sampling done to determin if the reason my hormone levels are so high is 'purely' down the PCOS that I was diagnosed with 10 years ago.
My testosterone levels vary from between 6.8 - 9.8 and another hormone called androstenedione has also been really high, usually around 33.
The waiting for results is driving me mad ( ive got another 2 weeks to go before they are expected back) and I would really appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had this done. All I know is that they were unable to get blood samples directly from my right ovary, although they did manage to get the samples they wanted from my left ovary and both of my adrenal glands. Does this mean the test will be inconclusive?
fee

Venous sampling

Postby Sonia » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:07 pm

Hi there. Just wanted to ask, is there some doubt that you have PCOS. Why was this test suggested?

I'd never heard of it til now so am curious. Is it something we should consider having done?

Cheers
Sonia

Postby fee » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:51 pm

PCOS was confirmed by a scan when i was 18 (10 yrs ago), i went to see my gp in march as my unwanted hair was getting worse and i wanted to see what else they could offer, he took some blood tests and testosterone level came back at 7.7 (normal is 0.5-2.5 ish for women,POCS women can be around 3.5 i believe) anyway as it was too high he refered me to the endocrine unit were i have had test upon test, MRI scan came back as POCS but they did this 'just to be sure' POCS was causing the high testosterone level test where i had to take dexamethasone at midnght and have blood done in the morning. is was supposed to suppress the testosterone but it didnt so i had to have the venous sampling done to determin wether the high levels were from the ovaries or adrenal glands. That was done on 9th Nov and i wont have the results till 24th Dec!
fee

Postby Sonia » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:29 pm

Wow that's a long time to wait for results! Pity you couldn't have had it done privately.

Hope it goes well for you though.
Sonia

Postby Thumper » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:47 am

Hi Fee

I haven't heard of venous sampling. What is it? where do they take the blood from? Whenever I've had blood tests all my hormones come back as normal, which is bonkers as I have all the symptoms of PCOS.

At the Verity National conference in London a Professor Farid said that the NHS uses a cheapo glucose tolerance tests which shows that only some women with pcos are insulin resistant. He said that if you do the proper full test then all women with pcos are insulin resistant. I'm wondering whether it's the same with hormone tests.
Thumper

Late Onset Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia and PCOS

Postby fee » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:33 pm

With venous sampling they took blood samples from my ovaries and adrenal glands direct from my artery in my right groin and also my neck!!!
I got my results today and my consultant seems fairly sure ive got late onset congenital adrenal hyperplasia - i dont know much about it yet but apparently PCOS is a symptom of it. I have to take prednisolone morning and night and this should reduce my high hormone levels.
Apparently Late Onset CAH is quite common and 5% of POCS sufferers have it. I dont want to scare anyone reading this by saying that but it may be worth anyone being tested for if they have experienced high testosterone levels.
fee

Postby Sonia » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:38 pm

Hi Fee

Finally read your Xmas Eve post and whilst I can't recall having my testos levels checked, I might request it when I go for my annual check-up in February.

Hope your treatment works out for you.
Sonia

Postby Sonia » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:44 pm

Fee I found this article on the web referring to your late onset CAH.

http://website.lineone.net/~gavin.blackett/whatiscah.html
Sonia

Return to Verity Cafe