Running in the winter - my challenge

General discussion area. Just been diagnosed? Need to share your story and get some peer support?

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Running in the winter - my challenge

Postby Sonia » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:17 pm

I usually do a half marathon, The Great North Run, which helps to keep the fat level down. This year I decided to keep running during the winter and see what happens. As difficult as it has been I've managed it so far. Every Wednesday whilst my child is at basketball practice I head out for an hour long run. I live in central London so it's pounding the pavements, too dark for running in various parks.

I'm taking part in the Nike 10k next Sunday night too. Picked up my race pack this afternoon and whilst I love the yellow top I'm praying it's not too cold next week as there isn't a lot of room to wear something thick underneath (it's skinny fit) :) .

Anyway, the point of this rambling is to try to encourage you to keep doing something even though it's so much easier to go home and sit on the radiator with chocolate, carbs, crisps and/or wine :) (Hang on, that's what I do! :lol: The payoff to all this running is that I can still indulge but it doesn't stay on my stomach!
Sonia

Postby cj » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:58 pm

Good tactic, having an aim helps so much, I'm doing a race on new year's day which should stop me indulging too much over christmas, hopefully :roll: I do find running when it gets dark so early difficult, have to run on the roads wheras normally I potter around the river and canal. Feeling great when you get back makes it so worthwile tho. Good luck for the race :D
cj

Postby Sonia » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:07 pm

:D Thanks cj. Went away for the weekend to a lovely hotel and relaxed and had a good time, as did my little one. Didn't go overboard on the food and drink either :shock: . Made full use of the leisure facilities too, including the gym :)
Sonia

Return to Verity Cafe