Coming off PCOS treatment at 53

A place for older ladies to discuss the issues affecting them and share hints and tips relating to PCOS in later life

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Coming off PCOS treatment at 53

Postby JennyC » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Hello Sasha,

I'm so glad this thread is helpful. Dianette wasn't strong enough for me which is why I had to increase the dose of cyproterone acetate. It's also why I thought the menopause was going to be nightmare when I came off treatment. However so far so good.

Week 10 of coming off the Pill and week 3 of stopping cyproterone acetate

All good this week. No PCOS symptoms, no periods, no hot flushes and still feeling as if I have more energy. If things continue well I will no longer put a post up every week, perhaps one a fortnight or once a month. I will certainly let you know what happens around the 3 month mark after coming off the cyproterone acetate.

The only thing has been uncertainty over who I am now I appear to be suddenly post menopausal. Should I start wearing old lady's coats? Where do I stand as far as men are concerned? Can I still wear leggings? Well of course I'm exactly the same person I was 4 months ago but with more energy and maybe slightly less head hair. Think my friends have caught on, several have unexpectedly given me hugs this weekend. I haven't breathed a word. Never underestimate the power of a friend's warmth to tug you back onto the road of Business as Usual.

And when all's said and done I'm just so thankful this has been relatively easy so far.
JennyC

Postby JennyC » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Weeks 12 and 13 of coming off the Pill and weeks 4 and 5 of stopping cyproterone acetate

Very much enjoying having my get up and go back. Have had a couple of very, very small pimples however not sure whether they are just one of those things or um, ugh, whether they herald the return of pizza face. Will see how things go.

Visited some friends last week. C is 5 years younger than me and has the most extraordinary, but very nice wrinkles, which got me thinking about A who is my age and who always looks very stylish and also has wrinkles. Thought back to the pizza face years and how people used to say I'd develop wrinkles later with my oily skin. Mmmm maybe they were right. Certainly the craters on my face have filled in with age. Perhaps Holly this is another thing that improves with age? (one of your posts).
JennyC

Postby JennyC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Week 14 of coming off the Pill and week 6 of stopping cyproterone acetate

Forget the smugness about wrinkles (lack of) and cancel the old ladies coats, I have definitely had a zit this week. Yes really at 53! It's now gone thankfully. Pesky androgens. As it's only one and as I seem to have sackfuls more energy with no treatment I shall carry on. Will see what happens next.
JennyC

Postby Hols969 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 am

Hows the last few weeks been?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby JennyC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Week 16 of coming off the Pill and week 8 of stopping cyproterone acetate

Zit has disappeared, though little spot like things continue. Not sure what they are, am taking them to the doc on Thursday. Had an NHS medical check today, you get them free on the NHS at my GP surgery once over the age of 40. Wasn't sure I wanted the second half of my life to be medicalised, however realised it would be a good way of getting my blood sugars and cholesterol checked out. My BMI is 29 aaargh! I swear it's only 27 with my clothes off, first thing in the morning.......

Am tired, tired, tired. Hoping it's the cold weather and lack of sunshine rather than anything PCOS. Trying to summon up the energy for a slimming evening swim.......
JennyC

Postby sasha_ray » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Ask the GP for zineryt. Its brilliant for pimply type spots and sensitive skin seems to be able to handle it. I reakon its better that you go onto to some kind of topical as a preventative measure now you're off all PCOS treatments.
sasha_ray

Postby JennyC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:43 am

Week 19 of coming off the Pill and week 11 of stopping cyproterone acetate

Doctor thinks the spots might be perioral dermatitis and has given me metronidazole (an antibiotic cream) to rub on them. Thank you Sasha for your advice, it's giving me confidence that the doctor might be thinking along the right lines and if this cream doesn't work I'll suggest zineryt. He doesn't think they're what he calls acne vulgaris. Lovely......I spent 10 years of my youth with vulgar acne! Anyway I told him I'd come off the PCOS treatment and he still doesn't think they're vulgar acne. It all seems a bit of a coincidence to me and as no-one knows much about PCOS and the menopause I shall remain open as to what they actually are.

The good news is I continue to have loads more energy, so coming off the PCOS treatment has been a wonderful thing for me. I'm chuckling because just as my friends are beginning to feel their age I'm bursting back onto the world again!

Will let you know how the metronidazole goes.

by sasha_ray » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Ask the GP for zineryt.
JennyC

Postby JennyC » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Week 22 of coming off the Pill and week 14 of stopping cyproterone acetate

Little spots(perioral dermatitis?) have been successfully treated with Metronizadole. Larger spots are stubbornly refusing to go. I think these are probably acne. There are however very few of them so I'll see how they go. Also feeling very tired which was a symptom of my original PCOS. It could be 3 weeks of wintery weather or maybe a bug that I have sub clinically so will see how that goes too. If things worsen I'll go back on the cyproterone acetate. I wish it was manufactured in doses of less than 50mg.
JennyC

Postby JennyC » Sun May 12, 2013 9:00 am

Week 27 of coming off the Pill and week 19 of stopping cyproterone acetate

Perioral dermatitis, if that is what it was, has definitely gone. Large spots replaced by small, red, spots on my cheeks and near my eye. However there are only 3-5 of them at any one time and they are small. You don't really notice them.

Energy levels back to normal. Phew!

Bloods have come back from NHS, aged 40-74, 5 yearly test: cholesterol 5.8 and fasting blood sugars normal. Tingling in hands at night thought to be due to carpal tunnel syndrome.

Hair is definitely thinner and am currently dying it so I don't look like like a spotty old lady :lol: . Right have finished the roots, better go and dye the ends.
JennyC

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 pm

How's things been going the last few weeks Jenny?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby JennyC » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:44 am

Week 33 of coming off the Pill and week 19 of stopping cyproterone acetate

Spots have gone, hair is thicker, energy levels very good. I have lost 1 stone 4 lb ie 8.2 kilos and my BMI is now 26. Yes! Have just bought new and flattering clothes so I don't put it back on again. I looked to the NHS for help: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/weight-loss- ... arted.aspx

If I ate 2000 calories a day I would be obese. The NHS recommend 1400 calories a day to lose weight, I am eating 1000 calories a day which seems about right. I'm not eating breakfast ,as I have more will power in the morning and strangely no breakfast makes me feel less hungry in the evening, when I have NO willpower. I have lost roughly a pound a week since the New Year. Yes I know the breakfast police don't like it, however it's working for me in my 50's. It wouldn't have worked for me when younger.

Feel I have got through coming off the PCOS treatment and that my ovaries, at long last, are my own again. They have been medicalised for far too long.

So it's all good!
JennyC

Postby JennyC » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:41 pm

Week 38 of coming off the Pill and week 24 of stopping cyproterone acetate

A bizarre thing has just happened, I am having my first period in around 4 or 5 years and my first natural period in around 30 years. Now I come to think about it, what I thought was an acidic stomach is in fact stomach cramps and bloating :shock:. Also I've been having major trouble getting to sleep the last few nights, which back in the days of untreated PCOS, was a symptom of PMT for me.

I went to the GP last week about swollen ankles and I thought he muttered something about Anno Domini. Ummmm didn't think Anno Domini and periods really went together.

Will let you know what happens next.
JennyC

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:05 pm

How strange - I know with the pill after about 6 months of coming off it your pcos symptoms creep up on you again!!! Hopefully just a blip....
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Hols969 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 am

Hows things been Jenny, improving again?
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby JennyC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Probably around a year after coming off the Pill and almost as long stopping cyproterone acetate

I felt as if I was about to have another period, a month later, but it didn't amount to anything. Nothing since. So I think I can now declare myself to be post menopausal. Actually it's all absolutely fine. Nice not to be taking tablets and to be back under my own steam. Am feeling tired but am blaming Christmas and long hours at work.

So cysters, the menopause, after much anxious anticipation, seems to be absolutely fine. What a lovely surprise!
JennyC

PreviousNext

Return to Life begins at 40...