Coming off PCOS treatment at 53

A place for older ladies to discuss the issues affecting them and share hints and tips relating to PCOS in later life

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Coming off PCOS treatment at 53

Postby crazyDiane » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:15 pm

How do you feel now Jenny?
crazyDiane

Postby goldenthread » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:33 pm

Jenny that is wonderful news for you, I am a little confused to say the least since
I went for a pelvic ultra sound examination yesterday and was told that I no longer have PCOS??!!!

I'd been having the most horrendous pain in my left ovary since coming of the pill cerevettes that I took continuously, although even on the pill, I never had a period and only came off it due to my hair falling out at a massive rate. I was told by my GP, just come off it.

Since January 2015, I'd made a determind effort to loose weight, so had been going the gym every other day and for my diet, taking Metformin on a no sugar, no butter, low carb, low saturated fat diet and eating protein mostly and good carbs.
I was exercising from Jan up until May and had lost just over a stone in weight..I came off the pill, due to hair alopecia in the front of my head.

I started getting horrendous pain in my left ovary and was in agony that I stopped going the gym. Yesterday I had my internal ultrasound and was told I have a 5 cm cyst on my right ovary but nothing on my left so don't have PCOS! i left the hospital more confused than happy tbh, in denial.

I have been battling this all my life since I was 10. I'm now 41.

I made an appointment to see my doctor and although she is still waiting for the report, my doctor has said the nurse must be right, I don't have PCOS. I asked for a blood test but was told that I would not need one as the ultrasound would determine if the pcos has gone. I don't know what to do for the best...keep taking Metformin or not...watch what I eat or not????

I'm so confused. If there are any ladies out there who understands this, Please please if you can, could you advise me.

Many thanks. Helen
goldenthread

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:24 pm

Cysts can come and go as they are only a symptom, so just because you dont have them now, doesnt mean you no longer have the condition! Unfortunately PCOS has such a misleading name that still the thought is that it is the cysts that cause the issue but further research has shown it isnt the cysts, its a hormone imbalance and not really ovary related at all, its just how one of its symptoms manifests itself. I am 46 btw, unfortunately there isnt that much info for us 'oldies' about what may happen regarding the menopause and if its early or later than the norm so its a bit of a guessing game. I am still on a combined contraceptive pill.

I would ask to see an endocrinologist as pcos is their area.

I love the 5:2 diet so you eat normally and fast for two days, it is really simple (I do watch what I eat on the other days too), I do no exercise (I walk a fair bit each day and always climb the escalators etc so I try to get a bit in but I found doing 'proper' exercise and dieting seemed to cause confusion for my body, I seem to lose far more weight when not exercising.

I dont know much about the pill you were on but it may be worth asking to go on Yasmin or dianette as they are good from a pcos point of view but some gp's wont as you are over 40 and their are higher risks but I would rather have pretty much no pcos symptoms and take that small risk personally.

You do still have pcos, the scanner and your GP are wrong..... let the battle begin!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby goldenthread » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks so much for your advice Hols969, big hugs to Jenny too, I hope i'm not taking away your post, it was something that really hit me like a train when I was told. I was emotional and didn't know what to feel. I was more confused then anything else. like i'd slid down the ladder back to square 1 in Snakes and Ladders.

Im believing that i'm not surrounded by doctors or anyone who has any knowledge of this condition. I'm 41 and have fought this since I was 10 (when all the changes started). But wasn't diagnosed until I was in my twenties.

I will take your advice and push to see an Endocrinologist.

My gut feeling is something is not quite right.

The battle has begun...once again!!!
goldenthread

Previous

Return to Life begins at 40...