Nuvelle HRT

A place for older ladies to discuss the issues affecting them and share hints and tips relating to PCOS in later life

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Nuvelle HRT

Postby JenJen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:49 pm

My gyn doc has put me on Nuvelle HRT for PCOS, as someone kindly pointed out, they have never heard of this! i have researched and seen it is supposed to be discontinued in the UK? i have been informed i am not going through the menopause, so has anyone else heard of this treatment for PCOS?

I have the doc again on 9th Feb, can anyone help with questions i should ask without sounding cheeky! after all she is the professional.

This is so confusing, i feel i am going mad :?
JenJen

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm

It may be down to cost rather than anything else, all the post I have found on it, the ladies have been very happy, so I wouldnt worry. The only issue may be if you take it and all ok and then they run out of stock so you have to change!

I havent heard of this as an alternative route as generally the contraceptive pill tends to be recommended instead.

Unfortunately we dont have that many 'old' birds on here who have gone thru the menopause or suspected menopause Im afraid. Im almost an old bird at 42 and stay on yasmin most of the time which controls most of my symptoms.

I remember we spoke before about this but I think I would want to know what the difference is between this and the combined contraceptive pill, was this not an option for you (sorry in my old age, memory like a sieve).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Just been googling a bit on PCOS and menopause (also did a search for Nuvelle and PCOS (which it thought I meant Nutella and PCOS, would rather have Nutella i think!! which I thought was funny) anyway ......

I know our experts at verity are researching pcos and menopause and everything I have read on it suggests the menopause can make it worse, so the fact that you are not currently going through the menopause then I would be a little reluctant to take HRT to be honest but there may be a very good reason you have been advised to take it.

I would ask him his reasoning for suggesting it and then all you can do is do pros and cons and see which looks like the better option for you ....
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby JenJen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:22 pm

I am also 42 & i have been told before i am too overweight for the contraceptive pill! ( i thought HRT & the pill were similar) i also used to have a period for 24 hrs now they are heavier and lasting 9 days :(

I have also gained 5lb in weight since taking the HRT and i was eating very sensibly and going to the gym, but i am giving up as it dosent feel worth it.

Thank you for the support :D
JenJen

Postby Hols969 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Yes I dont blame you. Try the Norah Lane diet if you want to lose weight, its the only one Ive lost weight on and pretty much kept it off, it does get even more difficult once you are in your 40s thats for sure !! My bmi now is about 26 and Im a size 10/12 rather than 16.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby TigerLily » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:51 am

I have been off the pill for 3 years now as my age & BMI did mean my GP said no to the pill. I have a mirena which to be honest has been great, as I don't bleed anymore now :)
I have put on weight after coming off the pill and my other symptoms have gone on over-drive. I have terrible skin and hair problems have rapidly increased :(

I was sent to a gynae appointment last September, not sure why but went anyway. It was a waste of time TBH as they just told me to lose weight! I'm not TTC so they just sent me on my way. I'm now going to push for an Endo referral as my androgen levels must be through the roof at the mo.

Blood tests do show that I'm not pre-menopausal and HRT wasn't even mentioned.

I definitely wouldn't take it at my age and I'm older.
TigerLily
Local Group Leader

Return to Life begins at 40...