Hi I am new to the site & would love some advice

A place for older ladies to discuss the issues affecting them and share hints and tips relating to PCOS in later life

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Hi I am new to the site & would love some advice

Postby JenJen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:19 pm

I have finally been diagnosed at the age of 42 as having PCOS after complaining about fertility issues & everything else that goes with PCOS.

My periods were lucky if they lasted 24hrs , however the doctor has now put me on HRT for my PCOS! my periods are now lasting for 9 days and are very very heavy, i am overweight & have been trying to lose weight since i had a hip replacement 2 years ago, i go to the gym at least 3 times a week even though im constantly exhausted, my doctor thought my tiredness was down to depression and mood swings! i have the skin tags, dark scaly patches all over my body, mostly face, neck, groin & top of thighs, i get acne, but instead of oily skin my skin is extremley dry, my hair is thinning, i have a full bloody beard, i dont have cysts on my ovaries (thank god) but all the doc said was go away & dont eat any carbs at all, i have tried but i am really struggling and finding it all confusing, does this mean all i can eat is fruit veg & meat? i also asked the doctor about metaforin! but she said to wait till my next appointment, why is this? sorry if im ranting, im just sooooo confused & dont know where to turn to :cry: (PLEASE HELP)
JenJen

Postby Mrs Wilko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:25 am

Hi Jenjen

Welcome to Verity! I hope you find the support you need here - Verity has been fantastic for me, there's lots of friendly, knowledgeable and supportive ladies out there!!

I can't say I have heard of going on HRT to 'treat' PCOS, but gp's usualy response is the BCP and lose weight and all will be well, sometimes that's just not the case....

GP's aren't very knowledgeable in my experience with PCOS and you are better off being under the guidance of an endocronologist and or gynae. Do you have a referral for either? MY GP only put me back on metformin due to the fact that i had been on it previously under the endo and they're not even sure whether i should come off it now or not so in my experience take most advice from the gp with a pinch of salt!

As for your diet, there are options for PCOS women and if you look on the weight and healthy eating board you'll find plenty of women who have lost weight sucessfully in a variety of ways. I lost 7st recently following the Norah Lane diet, but there are others who follow slimming world, weight watchers and rosemary conolly and have lost weight. Generally it's best to keep to a low GI diet - you can still eat carbs, but change to brown rice, pasta and bread. It really depends on what sort of diet would suit your lifestyle to be honest but it is possible!

If there's anything specific you want to ask, then ask away - there's nothing embarrassing the ladies on here haven't heard or experienced and there's plenty of info on here covering all aspects of PCOS.

K xx
Natural surprises BFP 07/2007 and 01/2012

PCOS diet 10/2010 to 11/2011 lost 7st in total BMI down from 48 to 28
Back again to loose the weight after a break (and a baby!) 01/2013

*Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Mrs Wilko
Verity Moderator

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 am

I am also 42 and Im on the contraceptive pill which controls most things, was this an option? I have lost 3 stone on the NL diet as well so it can work but I dont really eat many carbs now - it is really tough initially but actually after a while I dont even think about it, I would never have considered having a curry with no rice in the past but I dont get the cravings for carbs that I used to (especially noodles!)

I often think the symptoms of pcos is actually very much like the menopause e.g. the hot flushes etc so it may be a route that will help.

Metformin is not licenced for PCOS and our experts at Verity actually are worried how easily it is being dished out. They think the weight loss is often down to the side effects which then in turn make your periods return because of the weight loss (from the side effects).

You should be tested for insulin resistence really prior to being put on it. Also lack of Vit D can cause tiredness so may be worth taking a supplement (this is linked to insulin resistence as well which you may have). Also make sure you eat little and often as our body is fab at storing fat and we will naturally gain 2lb a month even if we ate the same as a non pcos lady who was same height/weight etc. Lucky old us!!

I really would recommend IPL or Laser for the facial hair as it does work (look at groupon for offers in your area).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Thank You

Postby JenJen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Thank you very much ladies for your advice & support, i should have explained that i live in Glasgow and it was a womens clinic who have their own gyn clinic that has seen me, she seems to think putting me on HRT will balance out my hormones? i have never heard of this either as she has said i am not going through the menopause?

I will have a look at the diets and suggestions you have given, my own practice nurse told me to eat little but often as i get sick, dizzy & light headed, i will have a look around, its just sooo confusing, i worry in case i eat to much & i worry if im not eating enough? but how can they say that if you dont eat enough your body will store all your fat! what about people who have do do low calorie diets before surgery, or gastric bands?

AM i just totally thick or plain stupid???

Thank you again xxJenJenxx
JenJen

Postby Hols969 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:05 am

No I do wonder that as well, in that the ladies that dont eat and become very thin!! I think its because we are designed for store fat that makes it so difficult. I think the low calorie diets are only for a short term thing tho.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Life begins at 40...