Coming off PCOS medication at 52

A place for older ladies to discuss the issues affecting them and share hints and tips relating to PCOS in later life

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Coming off PCOS medication at 52

Postby JennyC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:00 pm

I have been diagnosed with PCOS for the last 27 years. I was thin, had bad acne and periods nearly all the time. I also had less measurable symptoms like headaches and fatigue.

All this was resolved by going on the Pill and taking 25mg cyproterone acetate for the first 10 days of my cycle. My GP would now like me to come off the medication. I've tried cutting back the cyproterone acetate to 12.5mg and as on other occassions I get a headache all the time.

Does anyone else have this experience? At what age have others managed to wean themselves off PCOS medication?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
JennyC

Postby Hols969 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 am

Why do they want you to come off the medication? What are they going to suggest instead?

Im 42 and intend to stay on the pill for as long as possible and once that is up, then I would consider HRT possibly. Is this an option for you?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby JennyC » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 am

They're concerned that being on the Pill and cyproterone acetate will put me at increased risk of blood clots.

However I'm not sure that cyproterone acetate does increase the risk of blood clots (wikipedia) and I attended the British Menopause Society meeting in Leeds a couple of months ago and I thought they said that research showing the Pill causing blood clots over a certain age had been discredited.

However my GP is determined to take me off the medication.

Has anyone come off cyproterone acetate and the Pill in their 50s and not experienced a recurrence of symptoms eg a permanent headache? If so at what age? Do I just need to wait a little bit longer?

Or are headaches a permanent post menopausal feature of PCOS for some women like excess hair continues to be be an issue for others?

JennyC
JennyC

Postby JennyC » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:43 am

I mean HRT and and an increased risk of blood clots has been discredited.

JennyC
JennyC

Return to Life begins at 40...