Is there anything that does improve as you get older?

A place for older ladies to discuss the issues affecting them and share hints and tips relating to PCOS in later life

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Is there anything that does improve as you get older?

Postby Hols969 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:14 pm

Well as the title says, just wondering if anything does improve really?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Annoldie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Yes - a few! It's nice not to have to mess with periods, and worry because you think you should have them. You don't worry what other people say or think about you very much. You can talk about anything, and I mean anything with your friends without embarrassment - and laugh about it. Very few older people still have greasy skin or acne. The hair might still be a problem,but hey most of your friends have some granny hairs now! Most of my friends say they can get out of the house in 5mins ,without having to spend an hour in front of the mirror first! Oh yes - a few weeks ago I had some skin tags removed by a very young, very rude doctor.So as I was leaving I turned round and said "Now young man" and tore a strip off him,and then told him he could apologise - and waited - he was slumped in a chair like a petulent teenager, but he stood up and apologised. I don't think I could have done that without my white hair and a walking stick! You are stuck with your PCOS but it is less of an issue. Ann
Annoldie

Postby Annoldie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Sorry Holly, I have been a bit frivolous. My experience is unlikely to be yours. Doctors and researchers are begining to ask what happens at the menopause and beyond, so hopefully more will be known and treatments will have been improved. At least there is an acknowledgment that pcos continues beyond having children, so thats a start!
Annoldie

Postby grace » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes, I agree with Ann - there are some things that get better as you get older. I certainly don't suffer with acne, greasy skin or greasy hair any more which I had when I was a lot younger. Quite the opposite in fact, my skin and hair are now extremely dry. The facial and body hair is still a problem but it doesn't seem so coarse and doesn't seem to grow as fast as before. And as you get older it is true, you don't get so hung up about the way you look. And it's quite amusing to now find that some of my most glamorous friends who I envied when I was young are now moaning about their granny hairs, wrinkles and excess weight!
grace

Postby Kasha » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:28 pm

I was sitting in the brew room at work a few weeks ago and one of the women there was moaning about how mortified she was to have found a hair on her nipple! She is just touching 40. I laughed to myself I'm afraid to say. I was completely unsympathetic. I wanted to laugh at her and say, what only one, aren't you the lucky one! Instead I saved it and had a bit of a chunter to my friend about how some people really need a reality check if a hair on the nipple is the end of the world!
Though I have to say that post pregnancy mine haven't actually grown back! Is that a pregnancy thing or a *nearly 40* thing?? :)

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby purplestar73 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Just discovered this part of the forum, I'm no spring chicken but not quite 40 but great to see there is a part for us older PCOS sufferers (but still mentally young!!)

Here here on the comment about the tea room moaning! Where I used to work a girl used to make a thing about her 1 hair on her mole and got another girl to pluck it out, poor little lamb!! She never knew I had PCOS and somehow don't think she would have understood. Over the years I have told more people that I have it and been more confident to do so and feel more people need to know about it!
purplestar73

Postby TigerLily » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:52 pm

Well I've only noticed negative so far - except one thing. I still have greasy hair, acne, thining hair, hair loss, AF & weight problems and the feeling I'm closer to my chimp cousins than my OH BUT... I have very few wrinkles just a few normal laughter lines (the same as my teenage daughter).

Mind you I'd swap that for a relief of my other symptoms :(

I hate the excess hair where I don't want it, and now I'm losing my hair where I do :cry:
TigerLily
Local Group Leader

Postby Annoldie » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi Tigerlily, cheer up, your AF will go and I am pretty sure the greasy hair and acne will too. We just don't know enough about older women so it is good to have everyones comments.
Annoldie

Postby TigerLily » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks, but I seriously doubt my skin and hair will improve, regarding my hair they'll be less to worry about soon as it's leaving in droves!
If things have just got worse over the past 30 years, I have little optimism for improvement now :(
TigerLily
Local Group Leader

Postby TinaD » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Ladies, just been reading the threads and thanks so much you have made me chuckle for the weekend.

Yes Ann, I love not being so self-conscious - isn't it brilliant - well done you for telling that guy/boy!

A couple of things are making me laugh now I'm approaching 50.

The doctors who have always questioned whether we have pcos etc , are now grinning like cheshire cats blaming everything now on the menopause, just because I'm hovering over that 50. The cheek of it hey!

Also over the years I have booked in some women (for beauty treatments) that were literally hysterical when trying to make appointments with me over the phone, saying I had to see them immediately because they had a problem with facial hair and when they arrived they had 1 solitary, very fine blond one that I had to search for with magnified lamp!! If only hey ladies

Have a good weekend Tina x
TinaD

We are still us....hairs and all! lovely ladies Im sure...x

Postby anna76 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Ann, Kasha and Tina D you are funny ladies!!

Pleasure to hear you are comfortable in your own skin....

I am now 35 and your stories reminded me of when I was out clubbing a few years back and I over heard some blokes at a table mouthing off about nipple hair and women with hair in places only men should have...I felt as though they had x-ray glasses at the time...now I think I'd just remind them to bring their tweezers on nights out incase they get a one night stand! :lol:
Ange
anna76

Postby Shadow70 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Hello everyone.

I am 41 and still have spots and greasy skin (and a hairy chin) but no where near as bad as when I was younger, so I can't complain. And like Tiger Lily I have very few wrinkles, (I call them laughter lines), and I am told I look younger than my age, so that is a bonus.

My doctor now thinks I may be going through an early menopause, but I have the depo injection to stop my periods and pmt (cos they were awful) so they can't test me for it. But I am interested in PCOS post menopause. I guess the menstrual problems go away, but does the hair problem get worse?

Caroline
Shadow70

Postby Hols969 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 am

At our next conference (in Cardiff in Nov) we have asked one of our endocrinologists to do a talk on what to expect as you get older as I think there are quite a few question marks ....
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby TinaD » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi Holly, that will be good to see what research they have done and get their advice. I'll have to check out the date of the conference and see if I can make it. The last one I made was Manchester, so it will be good to catch up with people and put faces to names.

Hope you ok

Regards Tina x
TinaD

Postby Hols969 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:48 pm

I know last time we had a talk about what happens as you got older I felt a little bit depressed when I left ..... We have asked for it to be a bit more uplifting this time ..... Its on the 12th Nov and at the Hilton in Cardiff
Hols969
Verity Admin

Next

Return to Life begins at 40...