Age 44, bloods now say no PCOS, but...

A place for older ladies to discuss the issues affecting them and share hints and tips relating to PCOS in later life

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Age 44, bloods now say no PCOS, but...

Postby rosiesparkles » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 am

What i refer to as my pcos symptoms have been getting worse over recent years- very hard to manage hair growth, heavy erratic periods, lethargy, weight gain, depression, anxiety.

The heavy periods and bloating were seen as symptoms of ovarian cancer so I was sent for a scan. The scan saw no cysts whatsover (and thankfully no cancer). This was a surprise as Ive always had comments along the lines of 'melon' 'large orange' in relation to the size of my ovaries. Bloods were run and all came back normal- no PCOS symptoms at all. Thyroid, cushings, the whole range normal. How can this be?

Endocrinologist said to just go back and speak to GP as there was nothing he was able to prescribe or suggest due to all bloods being 'normal'. 'Maybe it's just your age?' he said. Bloods also say Im not peri-menopausal.

So on the one hand, Im happy as there are no immediate serious issues, but on the other I am frustrated as I am far from 'normal' and my body is telling me it isnt happy.

Anyone else experienced similar?
rosiesparkles

Re: Age 44, bloods now say no PCOS, but...

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:03 pm

So you were previously diagnosed with pcos ??

Blood test can be hit and miss and cysts are only a symptom and not the cause so they can disappear but then be back again 6 months later. I would still class yourself as having pcos. Low GI diet generally is key. I used to bloat a lot but rarely do now - I have been eating live yoghurt every day (product call easiyo that you mix yourself) and I rarely bloat any more, I do know there are some things that do bloat me (I think I may have mild IBS possibly) so I just avoid them, sometimes also combination of foods can trigger it whereas if I ate each individually it is fine. So I would do a food diary and also get some live yoghurt (full fat as it can get through the gut acid which low fat cant, and neither can things like sauerkraut) and eat it every day and within 3 weeks you will notice a difference in how you feel.

Sadly the fatter you are are often the worse the symptoms can get, and as you are an old bird like me (I'm 48) it does get more tricky to lose weight. I really like the 5:2 diet as it is excellent to control insulin resistance etc and has scientific studies on how fasting actually helps the body. So I do that and eat my easiyo yoghurt and fingers crossed and I very rarely ill.

I also take floradix when I am feeling really tired (we can be low in vitamin D) I am due to go away in a week and I am getting more and more tired (I work long hours) the closer I get to it so when I feel like this I take floradix and don't feel quite so tired.

Good luck, let us know how things go.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Life begins at 40...