Blighted ovum - any experiences?

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Blighted ovum - any experiences?

Postby Grace02 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:54 am

Hello everyone

I used to be a regular user of this board, but I've not posted for ages and ages. I hope you are all well, and that some of you still read this, as I'd really be grateful for some advice.

We are TTC number 3. Back in March I had what seemed to be a normal period, but accompanied by some very strong cramps (unusual for me), so I POAS and got a BFP. Since I'd had some bleeding (bright red, more than just spotting), I saw the doctor, who sent me for two blood tests and a scan.

The blood tests were 6 days apart and the HCG levels doubled 4 times in that period, so I was hopeful I was still pregnant and the bleeding was "just one of those things" as I know lots of people have that in normal healthy pregnancies.

But I got a bit of a shock at the scan. By LMP I was 7 weeks + 2 days, although I know I have long/irregular cycles so by my dates I was roughly 6 weeks + 2-3 days. The sonographer told me it was a blighted ovum. In other words, there was a pregnancy sac in the right place in the uterus, but no foetal pole or yolk sac. He diagnosed this using an internal ultrasound and state-of-the-art equipment and he said he was quite sure. He also said I had a retroverted / tilted uterus.

He did however say I should have another blood test, which I did. The result had gone up since the previous one, but had only doubled three more times in that 10 day period. This means that it is quite possible it had reached a peak and already started to come down. Or it could still be going up. I don't know.

I am now 8 weeks + 2 days by LMP (or more like 7 weeks by my dates) and have had some pink spotting and brown discharge these last couple of days. I'm miscarrying, aren't I?

I was giving myself false hope after the scan by reading loads of stories online of women who were told they had a blighted ovum (i.e. empty sac), only to have a re-scan a week or two later and find a perfect healthy little embryo. I wish this was going to be me :-(

Instead I am trying to face reality of an impending miscarriage and prepare myself practically. Does anyone have any idea when the real bleeding will start after this brown loss I've had? Do I need another scan somewhere down the line to check there's nothing left behind? And how soon will I get a totally negative HPT?

I have two young children after two very easy straightforward pregnancies, so this has come as a massive shock. I know I am incredibly incredibly lucky and I am trying to tell myself that over and over, but I still feel gutted about what's happening, or is about to happen :-(

Has anyone else been through this? What was the outcome? Was there a lot of bleeding and was it very painful? (Sorry for your losses.)

Thank you. Grace x
Grace02

Re: Blighted ovum - any experiences?

Postby Grace02 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:33 pm

I just thought I'd post an update in case anyone finds this in cyberspace and wonders what happened.

I had another blood test after my last post, which showed another increase in HCG, but only by about 50% (from around 19k to 30k) in six days. I didn't really know what to think. Part of me was still clinging onto false hope though, of that I am sure.

Then this morning I had another scan. I should have been about 8+1 by my dates (9+2 by LMP) but the scan showed very clearly a large sac (31mm) that was completely empty. Absolutely no sign of any embryo, so my blighted ovum has been confirmed.

I have seen the doctor this afternoon and been given some pills to induce a proper miscarriage (aside from the brown spotting last week, I haven't had any bleeding). I'm going to take these tomorrow, then I'll have another scan a few days after that to check it's all gone.

I know I am lucky lucky with my two lovely children but I just feel so sad and gutted that this one didn't work out. It would have been a November baby.

Grace x
33 years old; two children.
Grace02

Re: Blighted ovum - any experiences?

Postby Grace02 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:57 am

Hello again

I just thought I'd post one last update. The pills I was given to induce a miscarriage didn't work, so I ended up having to have a D&C (or ERPC) at the hospital under general anaesthetic last week. I was really scared before going in, but it was completely fine and now, eight days on, I feel pretty much back to normal.

I've no idea how long it will take me to get any sort of cycle back (my cycles were always extremely long and irregular before having children) but I have read a few things that suggest anecdotally that women can be more fertile after a miscarriage. Something tells me it will be the absolute opposite for me given the PCOS, but I am trying to be positive about it all nonetheless... wish me luck!

Grace x
33 years old; two children.
Grace02

Return to Pregnancy Loss