What are the facts about PCOS & miscarriage?

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

What are the facts about PCOS & miscarriage?

Postby Democrazy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Many women have different opinions about this and so do websites on the internet. I asked my GP two weeks ago whether there is a higher risk of mc for women with PCOS and she clearly said that there is no evidence to support this belief.

Now, I know a GP gives general advice and may not be an expert when it comes to PCOS. However, I value her advice and think it's important to get the hard facts regarding this because I am confused. Maybe she was trying not to worry me during early pregnancy?

Can anyone tell me what evidence is available of whether Verity has some official guidelines for this? What do the most recent studies say?
-Originally on Metformin 1700mg & Dianette for lack of periods, weight loss and skin from 2005-2012
- Concentrating on low GI diet and weight loss
- Conceived naturally 2014
Democrazy

Re: What are the facts about PCOS & miscarriage?

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 pm

No, your GP is quite right there is no evidence of a higher rate of mc due to pcos according to our experts. Originally they did consider their may be a link but they have done further research and there is no link. I do think a lot of things are 'tied' up with PCOS' generally even though there is no proof that it is connected and I think often its easier to say 'it must be due to pcos' rather than actually try and find the root cause. Its a bit like they changed the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome (what a mouthful) to PCOS because they believed at the time that the cysts on the ovaries caused all the symptoms, but further research shows that cysts are only a side effect and the condition isnt really ovary related at all and men can be carriers of it. Obviously a lot more research is needed but on this occasion there is no link, so try not to worry about it too much. Further research has also shown that fertility for ladies with pcos lasts better and for longer (our egg quality remains good) unlike non PCOS women. Are you pregnant now, if so how many weeks?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: What are the facts about PCOS & miscarriage?

Postby Democrazy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks for your info. I'm 9.5 weeks. Really didn't expect to conceive. I haven't really lost any weight but I've been focussing on a low GI diet and I no longer drink, or do so very rarely. I've been told from my late teens it wouldn't happen easily for me, so I hope I can be an encouragement to other PCOS ladies.
-Originally on Metformin 1700mg & Dianette for lack of periods, weight loss and skin from 2005-2012
- Concentrating on low GI diet and weight loss
- Conceived naturally 2014
Democrazy

Return to Pregnancy Loss