Miscarriage and soy isoflavones

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Miscarriage and soy isoflavones

Postby tinks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi all,
Haven't posted here for a while but often have a nose around. More so lately as I had a miscarriage a couple of weeks ago and have been looking for answers and advice. I am very blessed to have a 2 and a half year old boy who was conceived after 3 rounds of clomid. On the last round I was told by the clinic that I was too fat, wouldn't get pregnant (I had lost 4 stone) and hadn't ovulated. I ovulated the week after as I knew I would and happily James is with us now. We thought that we would try again and see if we might be able to get pregnant ourselves and knew that the fertility clinic wouldn't take us on again, having already had a child, and to be honest I couldn't bear to even walk into that horrid place again. We tried for 8 years for James and all in all it wasn't a great experience at the clinic. Anyway, having read several threads here we decided to try soy isoflavones as it is meant to mimic clomid. I have another dose of clomid still in date which we thought about taking ourselves without monitoring which as a nurse myself I know would be a bit daft but desperate measures and all that. Anyway, started to lose weight and started soy isoflavones thinking that if it didn't work then when I had lost some weight we might give the clomid a go. We fell pregnant in December much to our surprise but I had really bad period pains and pain on my left side which was exactly like ovulation pain and I was convinced that it was an ectopic pregnancy. I had a scan at about 6 weeks and was told that I had an ovarian cyst which is common and shouldn't be a problem. Everything was fine although still had the pain and then started to have some brown spotting at 10.5 weeks which got worse over the weekend and became proper bleeding. The on call midwife booked me a scan for the week later where we were told that the 'fetus' hadn't grown much since the last scan and didn't have a heartbeat. I think I knew in my heart that weekend that all was not good but my husband was more hopeful and I think it has hit him harder. We were given the options of what to do, but since they kept refering to my baby as a 'fetus' I didn't want the hospital to have any input into my miscarriage so opted to wait for it to happen naturally which it did when I was 11 weeks. I passed my baby and have buried him/her in the garden where we can always be close by. Anyway, I am off on a tangent here but my question is was taking the soy isoflavones a contributing factor to the miscarriage? I want to try again but my husband isn't so sure, but if we do, then I would try SI again as it certainly gave me regular periods and I ovulated each cycle. Obviously wondering if this might have something to do with events and wouldn't want to risk another potential pregnancy. Sorry for going on but no one except my parents and a close friend knew I was pregnant and we haven't told anyone that this has happened so need to get this off my chest.
Thankyou for listening and any info of soy and miscarriage rates would be appreciated.
Tinks xxx
tinks

Re: Miscarriage and soy isoflavones

Postby debs29 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi Tinks,

I am so sorry to hear of your miscarriage - it will take time to get over but it does slowly become easier. You know where we are if you need to get anything off your chest. I am sorry I can't give any advice about Soy it isn't anything I know anything about.

I hope someone on here has some answers for you.

Take care

Debbiexxxxxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIU3rZf/]
debs29

Postby tinks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 am

Thankyou Debbie for your reply.
Still got so many unanswered questions. There seems to be differing opinions about when to try again after a miscarriage. Not sure that I want to wait a couple of cycles as that could take a year! Still not sure about the Soy isoflavones and whether to take again. Anyway, thanks for your reply. Hopefully someone here might be able to shed some light.
Tinks xx
tinks

Postby Doobykat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:50 pm

I don't think the SI would influence a m/c either way, as long as it was just taken for those few days at the beginning of your cycle.
I've had one m/c where all I was taking was Met, one successful pregnancy where I took Met and SI and also one m/c using the same Met/SI combo.
I'm still taking SI's each cycle as it gives me a regular & predictable ovulation each month.
x x
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db91a
MM/C Dec 2008 - 10w
MM/C Aug 2012 - 14w
Doobykat

Return to Pregnancy Loss