What contraception after an ectopic?

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

What contraception after an ectopic?

Postby purplebublz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Hi,

I'm after some advice please! I had an ectopic pregnancy this time last year. 6 weeks after surgery I found out i was pregnant again, and that turned out to be fine and my 12 week old miracle is asleep in her pram whilst I type. I'm now thinking about long term contraception coz 2 children is hard work, I couldn't cope with a 3rd one any time soon!! Between DD1 and DD2 I had a minera coil, which was great. I had it taken out and 11 months later I got pregnant, which was the ectopic one. My question now is, do I go for a coil again which prevents implantation in the womb, but not the tubes, or do i go for something different? If I go for something different, what do you suggest?

I really don't want to go through the physical and emotional pain of another ectopic and am worried that if it did happen they would have to remove my only remaining tube so the opportunity to have baby number 3 would be taken away from me.

I have an appointment with my doctor next week to discuss it, but just wanted some advice from people with first hand experience before i go.

Sorry if I've rambled on, but it's all just going around in my head and I need to get it out and try and come to some sort of decision.

Thanks
Age 30 DH 33
Diagnosed Nov 08
TTC #1 since May 07

4th cycle Clomid 100mg Mar 09 BFP 15/04/09
Emily Louise born 6.55 pm 13/12/09 weighing 6lbs 11oz

ImageImage

TTC #2 since Jan 11
Natural BFP 30/12/11 Ectopic pregnancy resulting in removal of right tube

Natural BFP 12/03/12
Paige Alies born 1.06 am 28/10/12 weighing 8lbs

ImageImage
purplebublz

Re: What contraception after an ectopic?

Postby Doobykat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I honestly don't know, PB :|
I know that there is a small risk of ectopic pregnancy when using the coil or IUD because, as you've mentioned, it doesn't prevent implantation in the tubes :?
I guess if you're really, really worried about another ectopic pregnancy happening while you're trying to avoid, the best thing would be to use a contraception which suppresses ovulation (i.e. the pill)
Essentially though, I don't know that there's anything that can prevent against ectopic pregnancies 100%. Should a contraception fail or should you (or any of us for that matter) ttc another baby, the small risk of an ectopic pregnancy will always be there :?
Hope your GP is able to steer you in the right direction & help you make a decision you're happy with x
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db91a
MM/C Dec 2008 - 10w
MM/C Aug 2012 - 14w
Doobykat

Return to Pregnancy Loss