AF experiences after D&C?

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

AF experiences after D&C?

Postby kathc1981 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 am

Hi ladies,

I'm now 3-weeks post D&C and my body is going nuts. Just wondered if anyone had experienced something similar.

I stopped bleeding about 8 days after the op. Last week I started having cramps, nausea, sore boobs followed by spotting for 3 days with a heavier couple of hours in the middle. I took a preg test on the advice of the EPU just to be sure, which was negative.

Could this be AF or possibly something else? I was expecting AF to take ages to come and then to be ridiculously heavy.

Any advice would be gratefully received :)

xx
kathc1981

Re: AF experiences after D&C?

Postby Amber » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Kath

I didn't have a D&C but a missed miscarriage. Since then my body has been all over the place too. I started spotting brown blood with cramps about 2 weeks after the miscarriage bleeding stopped. Four days later it turned into a full AF. Only 18 days later AF is here again only this time it went straight into the bright red blood. It has been quite heavy for me and made me feel quite tired. I think it is a result of the hormones trying to settle down after the miscarriage. As you know miscarriage is very stressful and the stress hormones can impact on the sex hormones and cause havoc on your cycles. I was warned by the EPU that the first cycle after the miscarriage would seem a bit wierd and to expect some spotting, however I had hoped the second cycle would have been better and not so short. The best thing to do is just get as much rest (including mental) to help your body recover from the stressful event.

hope you feel better soon
Amber
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
6 x Clomid 50mg Ov BFN - 24-26 days
1 x clomid 100mg over stimulated
Cyclogest
IVF 1st round - 2 blasts BFN
Letting thing happen naturally
BFP @ 11 wks - Nov 12 mmc 12 wks
BFP @ 8 wks - 21/05/14 EDD 31/12/14
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby kathc1981 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks Amber!

Good to know its not just me that's all over the place. Trying to keep my chin up - until it settles again its just a constant reminder of what happened.

"Must relax... must relax.... must relax" is my mantra for 2013 :)
kathc1981

Postby littlelolly » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Kath,

I am so sorry for your loss and I can completely understand as I have been there too. I too had a D and C and what I think is bad is that no one really knows how it can affect you afterwards because everyone is so different. I bled for 3 weeks first of all then it stopped for a few days then it came back heavy unexpectedly then it would last a few days then it would stop and start etc etc. I went on like this for 10 weeks. I went to the Doctors three times in that time. I had positive pregnancy tests for 6 weeks so it was clear that the d and c had not took everything away. I was told that as I was bleeding on and off that I had a low grade infection which can happen after a d and c and was given antibiotics. As soon as the antibiotics finished I stopped bleeding then 2 weeks later my first AF arrived which was very heavy to the point I had a scare when I was out shopping and had to rush home. I was then refereed for a scan at EPAU and gladly everything was gone and I went back to normal after that. Funny enough I had a 30 days cycle after that which has never happened to me ever, so I was able then to start my IVF treatment. I don't mean to scare you but it makes me mad now when I think of it that all that time I had retained products and an infection which no doctor could be bothered to notice. S I guess what I'm saying is if you have nay concerns at all don't wait as long as I did to get it sorted out. I really hope it ends for you soon so that you can start to deal with your emotions and try to move on. Xxx
littlelolly

Postby kathc1981 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi littlelolly,

Sorry for your loss too. Its so sad how women there are on here talking about this :(

I did have an infection that was treated with antibiotics - IV antibiotics during the op and a course orally for 7 days after. I spoke to the EPU last week and because I'd had 2 spot-free weeks after the op then this round is nothing to do with the D&C.

Now on Day 8 of this spotting and I still can't work out if its AF or not... Still really crampy too :(
kathc1981

Return to Pregnancy Loss