Any tips for coping with PCOS/miscarriage

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Any tips for coping with PCOS/miscarriage

Postby kathc1981 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to posting on the discussion board but really hoping some of you lovely ladies have any tips on how to deal with a miscarriage /PCOS.

I fell pregnant on my honeymoon -a total shock given the fact I'd only just started to get my periods back after being diagnosed with PCOS and starting metformin. Unfortunately a 9 week scan mid December after some spotting showed no heartbeat and I had a D&C a week later. This happened a week after the GP stopped my metformin.

Normally I pride myself on being a very strong woman but I am really struggling to find a way to cope and to put some perspective on what's happened and how to move on. I feel I need answers!

I'm sure that I'm not the only person to feel like this but I can't stop worrying that if by some miracle I conceive again I'm going to have the same issues again. I don't think I could go through this again and I want to find out if the miscarriage is related to PCOS and if anything can be done. Is it also possible this is related to stopping the met? Both these questions were immediately dismissed by the doctor at the EPU.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated! xx
kathc1981

Re: Any tips for coping with PCOS/miscarriage

Postby Amber » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi kathc1981

PCOS is not a cause of miscarriage, it is just miscarriage is more common than people tend to think. 1 in 3 pregnancies miscarry before 12 weeks. It is a shame that people don't talk about it more and pretend it didn't happen. Metformin can actually increase vitamin B deficiences which is why you need to stop taking it when you get pregnant. You can manage your blood sugar by keeping your carb intake done just as effectively.

It is hard dealing with miscarriage and all of us who have experienced it have felt that terrible pain of loss. Just because you have had a miscarriage does not mean you cannot get pregnant again and then carry to term. Many women who miscarry get pregnant again quite soon afterwards.

Are you still bleeding at the moment? Have your cycles come back?
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
6 x Clomid 50mg Ov BFN - 24-26 days
1 x clomid 100mg over stimulated
Cyclogest
IVF 1st round - 2 blasts BFN
Letting thing happen naturally
BFP @ 11 wks - Nov 12 mmc 12 wks
BFP @ 8 wks - 21/05/14 EDD 31/12/14
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby kathc1981 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi Amber,

Thanks for your reply. I've read in a number of places that women with PCOS are at higher risk of a mc which is why I've got myself in such a state about needing to know the relationship between the two.

Im still bleeding after the D&C (had it 8 days ago - nice Xmas present huh...). Back on the met now so hoping to see a return of AF in the not-too-distant future.
kathc1981

Postby Amber » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:28 am

I found that met did nothing for me except make me feel rubbish. I had much better results from keeping the carbs and stress down.

Be careful about finding something to blame about the miscarriage (including yourself). The most common problem is due to the cell copying process which is very complex. Sometimes it goes wrong and that is why you get miscarriage. It is not caused by anything you did unless you went out and got very drunk or were taking drugs which I am sure you did not.

You will start to feel better when the bleeding goes and the hormones settle. In the meantime don't feel afraid from talking about it and make sure you do grief and not supress your emotions. Many of us have been through this and know how horrible it is.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Kath - I am so so sorry for your loss and can relate exactly to what you are going through. My circumstances were almost identical to yours and I had drugs to start a miscarriage on the 14th december - so a week before yourself. I was hysterical and didn't think I could see an end to the misery but after two weeks my hormones have settled and that is starting to help with my perspective (although the feeling of loss and sadness is still awful). At the moment your body will be missing your baby but that does pass slowly but surely. I have decided to change my diet and lose some weight, and reduce stress - for me this was by reducing hours at work and this helping to have a better quality of life.

Take comfort in knowing that you can get pregnant and give yourself time to grieve. I have found these boards very useful I couldn't have gotten through this without everyone on here.

Thinking of you

X
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIU3rZf/]
debs29

Postby kathc1981 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks all,

I really appreciate your comments and support.

Debs -I'm so sorry to hear about your loss too. I'm so glad there is a place where we can share our experiences with people who really understand.

Yesterday was the first day in a while where I felt more like myself so possibly the hormones have settled slightly.

Thinking happy working-ovary thoughts...

xx
kathc1981

Postby debs29 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 am

Hi Kath - thank you - it has been so helpful to me to know that people understand exactly how you feel!

I think you have a v good chance of having good working ovaries - especially at the moment - after a MC we tend to have more going on that maybe at other times!

Glad you are feeling a wee bit more yourself, it will be highs and lows - let yourself feel sad when you need to and then be kind to yourself and do something all for you

xx
debs29

Postby Amber » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:56 am

I wonder if that explains why my body wants to BD more than usual!
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:09 am

Amber I am so glad you posed that! 3 days after my miscarriage my libido was higher than it has ever been - I wanted to bd - like - ALL THE TIME! I then felt really really guilty that I was thinking of BDing when I'd just lost my baby. I confided in a friend (who incidently is horse mad!) and she said of course I want to bd it is the natural way of coping. She likened it to a horse losing a foal - apparantly they come into season straight after losing a foal!
debs29

Postby Amber » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:50 am

That's really interesting Debbie, glad it is the Xmas holidays so there is no rush to get up in the mornings! It is now my second cycle and the EWCM appeared as soon as AF was gone. Oh well if the body is saying get BDing I guess that is what we ought to do. DH isn't complaining!
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:30 am

I think the only way to really fully get over our MCs is to fall pregnant again. I don't know about you but I miss being pregnant and I could feel how my body was changing! I will have all fingers crossed! I don't ovulate on my own but I'm hoping that after MC and pregnancy hormones etc that it may kickstart the correct hormones for once! Expecially as I have lost some weight already.
debs29

Postby kathc1981 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:50 am

Thank you so much! Mine returned with a vengeance this morning and I felt terrible for thinking about it so soon... So so glad it's not just me

xx
kathc1981

Postby debs29 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Don't feel terrible - it seems to be more common than we think - thanks Amber for mentioning it!!!
debs29

Return to Pregnancy Loss