To a better year.. 2013!!!

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: To a better year.. 2013!!!

Postby Amber » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Debbie

I am glad to hear the three day week is working out for you. Great news on the reduced hair growth and weight loss too.

I know why I wasn't feeling so good at the weekend now, I have come down with another horrible cold and slept really badly last night. I am so glad I haven't got to go any where today as I feel like just going back to bed! I just hope I feel better for thursday when my workplacement starts.

Foodwise I tend to eat mainly meat, fish, eggs, good quality hard cheeses, vegetables and sometimes a small amount of potatoes or sweet potatoes. However for breakfast I have my homemade yogurt (extra creamy) maybe an apple and a bit of protein powder as it is great for satiety. I like to have a coffee in the morning too. I don't tend to eat many treats, they are really for special occaisions however I do often have a small bit of dark (70%) chocolate or make up some sugar free cocoa. I do love good quality chocolate! I don't tend to snack as I find that I don't feel hungry between meals. I never use vegetable oil for cooking either, if I need cooking fat I use ghee, coconut oil or tallow as they are more stable at high temperatures and don't have an excess of omega 6 fats which we have too much of in our diets.

Still a good diet can never compensate for high levels of stress, which is why I feel rubbish at the moment.

hope you are having a better day!

Amber xxxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
6 x Clomid 50mg Ov BFN - 24-26 days
1 x clomid 100mg over stimulated
Cyclogest
IVF 1st round - 2 blasts BFN
Letting thing happen naturally
BFP @ 11 wks - Nov 12 mmc 12 wks
BFP @ 8 wks - 21/05/14 EDD 31/12/14
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi Amber,

How are you? How are your stress levels - are you feeling a bit better?

How did your first week in your work placement go? It must be great to put all your hard work into practice.

Thanks for food advice! I need to work on reducing my treats! I am still losing weight thought so am trying to keep motivated.

Hope you are well

Debbiexxxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIU3rZf/]
debs29

Postby Amber » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Debbie

I am feeling a lot less stressed now thanks. I got some more marks back last week (not the stats!) and was really pleased to get a distinction, so that has given me a boost. Work placement was good when I got there. It was a long drive but it was really interesting when I got there. I got to sit in on 4 client sessions and it really made me realise that my issues are trivial compared to theirs. I can't go into details as the information is confidential and this forum is open to the public but believe me we are both better off in terms of health and wellbeing.

I have been suffering from cold symptoms though which has made it hard, I don't feel as bad as I did earlier in the week but I am still not 100%.

How is your weight loss going? How long have you got to go on your medication? Is your work going okay?

Amber xxxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi Amber,

A huge WELL DONE on your distinction - you have worked so hard, through a very difficult time so you thoroughly deserve your brilliant grades. I am sure your stats marks will be just as good! Do you feel rejuvenated to start your studies again now? That's great that you have seen first hand what psychologists do - I can only imagine how some people suffer. I work in an FE college and I am shock at some of the horrific things that people go through and suffer from even at such a young age. I have had students in the past who have suffered miscarriage and are back after a few days whereas I am still struggling months later. A colleague pointed out to me that some people are used to awful things happening so can cope with such things because much worse happens to them. We are maybe fortunate that we come across people in our careers that give us some perspective - at least we have other good things to concentrate on. How are you coping with your MC now? Do you still have down days? I have the odd day where it all hits me and I have to busy myself - my own thoughts are my own worst enemy sometimes!

Sorry your cold is still hanging on - that has been a while now - am glad you are getting better slowly but surely. My weight loss is still steady - am on week 5 and I have lost 9lbs- my target before FET is another 5 so nearly there. I am still exercising regularly - I am slowly getting the hang of yoga and even after two weeks I am stretching slightly further. My stress levels are much better too. I am still doing heaps of walking - I am shocked at how much better my fitness is already. I couldn't imagine life without a sensible diet and exercise now. It is true what people say -it has to be a lifestyle change. Work is going OK. I am so different I don't allow myself to get stressed and I leave bang on finishing time. The balance between home and work has completely shifted. I am not feeling great on my medication, have been feeling very down and tired. I only have one week on this drug then I get another one along with injections. It all lasts around 4 more weeks so I can cope knowing that there is an end in sight.

Have you managed any more cycling?

Hope you are having a relaxing weekend.

Debbiexxxxxx
debs29

Postby Amber » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi Debbie

Glad to hear you are still making progress with the weight loss, you are over half way now which is brilliant. Sounds like the yoga is helping with the stress levels too. Well done on going home on time too, I wish more people would do this. It does annoy me how people insist on staying late and then make comments about those going home on time being lazy. You don't get any thanks ( or money) for staying late so there is no point in doing it. Sorry you are not feeling great on the medication, I certainly didn't when I was on it.

I am just about over my cold now, I did try some cycling at the weekend but didn't go that far as it was hard to breathe with a blocked up nose. It has now snowed again so will have to wait for that to go now!

I have been able to put my mc to the back of my mind as I have loads of work to do, it also helps that I haven't bleed for 5 weeks now as that is always a reminder. At some point I will have to take a test but I think I will wait for another week as i am so convinced that AF will turn up soon.

Amber xxxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:13 am

Hi Amber,

Did you find your moods were really low on meds? And tired? I am so fed up of it already!

Glad cold continues to get better. The snow seems to be never ending! I think you are right to leave testing, if it is positive you will be happy whenever you test but if it is negative it is better to get a natural sign first! I had to do a test before starting meds and seeing only 1 line is heartbreaking! (I will be keeping everything crossed for you!)

Debbiexxx
debs29

Postby Amber » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 am

Hi Debbie

Yes I did find that the IVF drugs made me feel horrible. Some say they are not as bad as clomid but I disagree. Once I started buserilin, my brain felt really foggy and I felt quite anxious and stressed. The stuff then caused me to develop an ovarian cyst and a build up of the uterine lining so I had to stay on it for longer, until I had another bleed. My skin broke out terribly too. With the gonal F I got bad trapped wind which was painful. After EC I felt so bloated that I had trouble breathing sometimes, it was quite scary. As you can see it put me off from going through it again and made me determined to find another way to get pregnant. I have certainly had more "success" (if you call a mc success) trying alternative methods.

hope you feel better soon

Amber xxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Amber,

I am so glad to hear someone else say that the drugs can make you feel awful! I am utterly exhausted and worried as I have new drugs to take once my period starts then buserlin! The side effects you mentioned on that - were very similar to my clomid experience. IVF is so stressful - but I don't think I have a choice. I have PCOS with primary amenhorea (apologise spelling) so I don't know if I will ever have a period naturally.

You are doing so well with your lifestyle and ovulating - definitely a better experience. It has been a success - you fell pregnant! The way I think about it is that I went through so long thinking I would never get pregnant, that at least I am further along the track to my final destination - we are both edging ever nearer!

Have you had another acupuncture session? How is your uni work - have any assignments started again?

Debbiexxx
debs29

Postby Amber » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi Debbie

My last accupuncture was last Monday so I haven't got anything for another couple of weeks. Life is quite busy now the new semester has started along with my work placement. I had another placement day today and again it was really interesting. The worst bit is having to walk past the maternity unit to get there, however I just focus on where I am going and just walk a bit faster. There is always loads to think about with each patient session and it really makes you realise how complex life can be. There are many people experiencing difficult times in their lives and families are not always the happy units the media makes them out to be. It teaches you gratitude, to be thankful for what you do have and not to dwell to much on the negative, I would not want to swap places with either of the patients that came in today.

With the IVF drugs, I never went through a frozen cycle as I didn't have any blasts to freeze, some say it is better than I fresh cycle as you are not at risk of OHSS. Still any drugs messing around with your natural hormone cycle is likely to make you feel rubbish.

I had secondary amenorrhea so I suppose I always had the belief that I could ovulate again on my own. Beliefs play such a bit part and is something we work on in accupuncture. I know it is hard to prove scientifically, but the amount of times I have seen or heard about someone's state of mind affect their physical health. Physical health is so often tied in with a person's life experiences both physically and mentally and that is becoming so obvious with my psychology studies. I really wish fertility clinics would take this into account when dealing with patients, they would probably get much better results for less money and the patients would experience much less stress.

I guess with both have to keep believing it will happen when the time is right, I learn from our experiences on the way.

Amber xxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Amber,

Glad you are enjoying your work placements - it must be horrible having to walk past maternity units. You have the right mindset though to get you through. You are right about people experiencing bad times too! We are in a world where people only share good things or want to portray an 'ideal' life (Facebook in particular - I find). I do( now) focus on positives rather than negatives, I have much to be thankful for and I try to stay in the now rather than dwell on the past or wish for an ideal future.

The clinic tell me I will have no OHSS having a frozen cycle, I am not used to all these drugs I am on, as for my IVF cycle I didn't have to shut down my hormones I went straight to gonal f. So I am struggling with these drugs and not looking forward to HRT. But I am glad to be further along in my cycle. Every attempt takes me closer to my baby - even if my eggs don't survive or I don't fall pregnant I am further along in my journey.

I agree on the belief thing. I have to admit I have utterly convinced myself that falling pregnant naturally is impossible. I need to work on this!

How have you been feeling over weekend? Has your cold disappeared completely now?

We had my fiance's family staying which was lovely. Lots of walks - also too much nice food - I completely fell off the wagon - back to the old me. I have turned this round today though so hopefully there won't be too much damage. My SIL bought us a wedding present - a lovely painting that we both love. She says we can have it now. It is a beautiful painting that makes me feel happy looking at it, so it will be my new inspiration!

I hope you are well

Debbiexxxx
debs29

Postby Amber » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am

Hi Debbie

That is good news that you won't be at risk from OHSS, as it is pretty unpleasant. You have got the right attitude too, though I know it is hard just before embryo transfer. Beliefs are hard to change, I am currently stuggling with not having another miscarriage at the moment. I now have sore boobs and feel really tired. I have now started feeling nausious so I know what it means though I haven't taken a test (I think I'll get the doctors to do it as I am too chicken). I am around the 6 week point which is when my last baby stopped growing so I am having trouble not thinking it is all going to end horribly again.

I know what you mean about facebook and 'ideal life'. I personally don't use it for that reason, I have heard too many people get upset from facebook and/or it has led to silly arguments. Very childish!

I haven't got placement this week as the person I am shadowing is on annual leave. That gives me time to work on my project proposal and create the questions for the questionnaire. Just got to stay awake now!

Glad you had a good weekend and it has helped you to relax and think about your wedding the painting sounds lovely.

hope the HRT isn't too bad.

Amber xxxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi Amber,

First of all (a quiet congratulations from me!). Your signs all sound very positive and I think the lack of AF is a sure sign! My heart goes out to you as this should be a happy time but I can fully understand your feelings. Think about your yoga philosophy and just think about now. Don't think about what has happened in the past - this is a completely new pregnancy. You eat a good diet, you exercise really well and are keeping your stress levels down. You are doing all the right things. I would go to your doctor as soon as you can to get confirmation and then get as much advice as possible. It would be very very unlucky for there to be problems a second time. I am putting all my positive beliefs into this working out for you. I will be exactly the same as you when I fall pregnant again so I am here for you with all the positive and negative stuff - but I will be keeping you back on track with the positive stuff! Can you get an early pregnancy scan?

I hope you get all your questions and project proposal done this week. Your idea is a good (and interesting one!). Listen to your body and rest if you need to and do your uni work in short bursts!

I am really chuffed with my painting (well our painting!) - it is of two hares on their hindlegs that are fighting but look as though they are playing . They have leaves up in the air. The hares are made of printed leaves in autumnal colours. We are both nature lovers so it is just so us. Every time I have a negative thought I'm going to look at the positivity of that painting!

I have now finished norethisterone and feel better already - just waiting for AF before HRT and buserlin. I am just taking a day at a time, like you if I think too far ahead I just get terrified!

How is the weather with you? It is like spring here - lots of sun and so much warmer - really good for my mood!

Take it easy and try not to get too stressed (easier said I know!)

Debbiexxxxx
debs29

Postby Amber » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks Debbie - I have now booked an appointment with my GP, however I have to wait until next Monday as that was the first appointment available. I know I must stay positive, there is nothing more I can do except look after myself so there is no point in worrying about it. I will let my GP know about my concerns next week and see what they say.

Questions are all done so just waiting for feedback from my supervisor. I am a bit nervous about this project as I know I am challenging the conventional wisdom about dietary advice. However most of the people who give out this advice have never had to lose a lot of weight so have no experience of a proper weight loss diet.

I am glad you are feeling better for stopping the progestins, AF normally arrives about 2-3 days after stopping them.

The weather has been good here too, had a good cycle ride on Sunday over to the farmers market, loaded up my rucksack with lots of meat which weighed a tonne and then had to cycle all the way home with it. Going to try and get out tomorrow as I am on top of my work and could do with some fresh air.

Anyhow speak to you soon

Amber xxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi Amber,

Glad you have got a GP appointment - the next wee milestone to focus on. You are doing really well staying positive - it isn't easy but better for you and baby!

Your project does challenge conventional beliefs but people like me (the average layperson who relies on medical advice) will never have an informed choice about diet etc without projects like yours challenging the conventional view! It will also make the work you put into the project easier as it is something you genuinely believe in and see as important.

I still feel so full of energy being off tablets and AF arrived today. I have no idea what the next step is, I couldn't get through to my clinic! I am in no hurry to start next set of meds!

Weight loss is slow but still going down! My clothes are not fitting now and I am getting lots of compliments. I bought a dress yesterday for work (I never wear dresses) and one of my male colleagues said this may be inappropriate but I know how hard you are trying to lose weight and I just wanted to say you look really nice in that dress! It was in a nice way not a pervy way at all so it was great that people were noticing - even though I am only losing 1/4lb per week it is still making a difference!

Your cycle to the farmers market sounds like a perfect weekend and good fresh food to boot!

Hope you are feeling well physically

Debbiexxxxxx
debs29

Postby Amber » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi Debbie

Glad to hear you have more energy now. I think with the next lot of meds it will be quite soon as they need to make sure that your body doesn't start the process of the next cycle. i.e. start maturing the eggs for the current cycle. Make sure you call them on Monday if you haven't already to find out what you need to do next.

Well done on the weight loss, it does get tough after the initial weight loss (this is what I am planning to pick up on in my project). Just make sure the food you do eat is nutrient dense other wise it will be harder. I am sure you look lovely in your new dress!

I am really feeling the tiredness now, yesterday was long as I had university all day and then stayed out to meet a friend. I feel so tired today but got to find sometime to get back to my questionnaire. It is too long at the moment so I have to make some decisions as to which questions to cut.

It has now got so cold again so decided I am not going anywhere today, will see how I feel tomorrow.

Amber xxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber