To a better year.. 2013!!!

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: To a better year.. 2013!!!

Postby debs29 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:29 am

Hi everyone - and a happy new year to you all. I hope like me you are all looking forward to all the good things that are going to happen to us this year!

Doobykat - wishing you that sticky bean! Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I know how hard it is - and a loss of nearly a stone is a fantastic achievement. Are you following any specific plan?

Joy - sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for advice. It really helps as here I constantly feel put down by the emphasis on my age. It left me confused because my egg quality was fantastic. When I hear that all 5 of my eggs has reached blast during IVF stage I cried - I had just felt that this was impossible. I am going to start believing in the facts instead - at the moment my eggs are fine and I did finally get pregnant! May I ask - from your signature - did you never ovulate on your own? I have never ovulated and to hear that you may not have either but are now ovulating makes me think that I should try some natural remedies.

Amber - hope you have had a good new year so far! I am definitely thinking young!

Dx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIU3rZf/]
debs29

Postby Amber » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Well so far going well (apart from the flat battery on my car but that is fixed now!). Got my head down and been getting on with my assignments, I have quite enjoyed doing the one about the women who is to scared to go for her anominalities scan.

I have had another CD14 ovulation which is quite amazing I was normally around Cd19-21. I am now not going to thing about it as I know it is not worth symptom spotting as it took until week 6 to get any symptoms before.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
6 x Clomid 50mg Ov BFN - 24-26 days
1 x clomid 100mg over stimulated
Cyclogest
IVF 1st round - 2 blasts BFN
Letting thing happen naturally
BFP @ 11 wks - Nov 12 mmc 12 wks
BFP @ 8 wks - 21/05/14 EDD 31/12/14
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm

Fab news about your ovulation especially being CD14 - are you good at spotting ovulation signs early? I really hope this is it for you - you are right about the symptom spotting - it makes everything more stressful. Do you have more assignments due? Hopefully your coursework will help distract you and make the wait a bit quicker.

Your assignment about the scan sounds really interesting. Were there any surprising findings?

I'm also doing OK - been keeping busy (Monday will be tough as it would have been my 12 week scan, once this is over I am just looking forward instead of back)- and have lost 1lb towards my target of 12stone. I am so much more motivated than other attempts. I really hope losing weight makes a huge difference.
debs29

Postby Amber » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Debbie

Well done on your weight loss so far and well done for setting a realistic and achievable goal. It will make it much easier to stick to. Just make sure that the foods you do eat are good quality and full of nutrients which you need for fertility. Lots of zinc is needed for ovulation which is found in foods like sea food and meats.

I have learnt to know what it feels like when I ovulate and I check for the EWCM. I have had my ovulation prediction confirmed twice now by ultrasound and it is nearly always 2 weeks before AF shows, except when I had my luteal phase defect. Anyway after ovulation means relax because there is SFA I can do to 'make' it a BFP. All I know is stressing about it will increase the chances of BFN.

I have got lots more work to do, I have two more assignments and a project proposal to get in before the end of the month so there will be no sitting around. I think from my last assignment it is the control issue that I identified well with. You can control things like your career, doing up your house, where to go on holiday and improving your health etc, but you have absolutely no control on the outcome of your pregnancy bar avoiding things like drinking and smoking. I have always been used to controlling my life and now I am trying to learn how to let go of the fertility thing as all I can do is look after my health and that is it. We are so used to being able to go out and get what we want in modern society, even actively prevent pregnancy but we can't control when we get pregnant and the outcome of it.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby joy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:14 pm

Debs Tbh its a long story but basically in my early 20's was told I was infertile(blocked tubes and adhesions) had Tubal surgery to correct it and was told to ttc again, a year passed and nothing had a hsg and,was told evetything had returned so had ivf(bfp with triplets but mc at 13 weeks) had another 2 attempt that failed and that was it I just gave up. 18 odd years on and i went in for a routine op to have the coil in and an investigation to y i was having bad af cramps,Wen i saw the doctor I asked stupidly if there,was any chance at all I might get pregnant after all these years I didn't want the coil....after the op wow they said my left tube was open!!!!! I was absolutely gobsmacked!! But wondered y i hadn't got a bfp for all these years! The consultant said I had a chance n done Bloods for 3 months to c if i was ov and I wasn't!!! He looked at my notes from all those years ago and i was never checked!! They prob put it all down to my tubes n didn't bother checking anything else!! I always had a period every month so didn't even think I didn't ov..how wrong was I. I was really angry but was given Clomid which I did ov with. They basically told me after 8 cycles I cudnt have anymore so i thought I'd try agnus castus and have ov the last 2 cycles on it, if u look at my ff link the last 2 charts are the ones I took ac. Out of the 8 cycles of Clomid I had 1 chemical and one molar pregnancy.x
Diagnosed infertile(blocked tubes,adhesions) 1992
Ivf x 3 early 90's- mmc triplets & 2bfn
Oct 2011 lap found left tube open!But dont ov
clomid x8 1 molor n 1 ectopic,right tube removed
No more funding due to my age
Natural ov since feb 2013 bfn's
nov 2013 diagnosed hyperplasia
march 2014 decided one last attempt.....ivf!
Scan showed fluid in tube, tube has to clipped before starting short protocl..praying il finally get my miracle at 44 years old!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3b92da
joy
Verity Moderator

Postby debs29 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:59 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for congratulations on weight loss Amber - I have always found it difficult but after my MC I just have a completely new motivation - completely unlike before. Today we were up and out for a nice long walk at a local estate. Excellent for my anxiety levels as I love nature - and the scenery is lovely. Also my favourite time of year for walks - it was really sunny but a bit chilly - love being all wrapped up in my cosy hats etc. I will be constantly asking advice for foods if that is ok. I have started on Weight watchers as at the moment I still need some sweet things. I have been baking though to avoid as much processed foods as possible, with the odd chocolate biscuit etc. Am also loosely applying low GI principles. As I get used to portion sizes etc - I am then going to try as organic a diet as possible with no processed foods at all. Hopefully this method will help me adjust and stick to it. I am not good with sea food at all - do you recommend any that have good zinc levels but not too 'fishy'? Is it oily fish that is best for zinc - salmon, trout etc? I am a bit confused about the ovulation thing. My doctors all say the chance of me ever ovulating on my own is highly unlikely (has only happened once after ovarian drilling) - in your research do you think that by applying a good diet (as you follow) that this could kick start a natural(ish) ovulation cycle? I do however, think that 'something' was happening a few days ago - high libido and niggling pain in my right ovary (used to get this when I ovulated on gonal f). I am relaxed about outcome though as I would prefer to be as healthy as possible before another pregnancy. I still need to work on my anxiety levels. A few things are affecting me - my return to work, just because I have been away for so long and they still haven't sorted by hours for returning. Also, when I had my embryo transferred during IVF, the consultant asked when I had last had my smear test as my cervix was looking inflamed or something. Nurse said not to worry as progesterone pessaries etc can cause this during IVF. However, I am over 6 months overdue my smear so now have all these worries about cancer. It is not like me to be so negative but so many bad things have happened that I have gotten into a negative mindset. I have booked my smear for 21st of Jan so am hoping all ends up being ok. Sorry for such a rambling negative post. Your mention of the control thing is bang on the head about how I also feel. Do you find that watching what you eat makes you feel a bit more in control? Especially as you know there is nothing else you can do - you have given it your very best shot. It sounds like you will be so busy that your 2 week wait will be here before you know it. Have you any topic areas you particularly fancy for your project?

Joy - PCOS can be so cruel. I have always known I don't ov as I have never had a period by myself so investigations showed no ov. By having your period you were never highlighted. I have never heard of it happening the other way. On a positive note - now that you know all the facts you are in a better position for getting that much deserved BFP!
debs29

Postby Amber » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Debbie

It is nice that it isn't raining this weekend and we can get out and about. I'm planning on getting out on my bike tomorrow.

With the zinc and sea food I meant shell fish like mussels. Oysters are the best but very expensive so not a realistic option really. Red meats are good including liver. You could also try a zinc supplement for a bit though you want to get a good one like Solgar's Zinc Picolinate. That was the one I started taking just before I got pregnant. I did a zinc taste test beforehand and it tasted like water. After taking this for a bit I could start to taste the zinc. It was probably all my vegetarian years and food restriction that depleted me of zinc.

I wish doctors would stop trying to play god, I don't see why you can't ovulate on your own if you get your body into a healthy state. Ovulation tends to stop when your body doesn't think it is a good time to get pregnant (under high stress or in times of famine (low-cal/low fat dieting)) or the body does not have the resources. For some women, just getting pregnant can sort problems out so you never know, just don't stress about it.

I am sure you will be fine with your smear test, the important thing is that you are getting it done and not avoiding it. Anyhow if it is caught early it can be sorted out. I know someone who did get a positive result but she went through the treatment at the hospital and is fine now.

The control and eating is a big thing, yes it can make you feel in control however this is one of the main driving factors behind anorexia so be careful.

For my project I have decided to investigate the psychology of calorie restricted dieting and the effect it has overweight and obese people. The bottom line it isn't easy. Nobody wants to be overweight and there is lots of advice out there, from doctors to rip-off merchants. If the advice worked then we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic, so my question is why isn't it working are people really non-compliant or is the advice wrong? Looking forward to it and seeing what the results bring.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm

HI there Amber - another nice wintry day here! Did you manage to get out and about on your bike? We went for a nice walk. I am really chuffed but my fiance keeps saying how fast I'm walking now. It makes me feel so ashamed that the extra weight affected me so much. I have so much more energy and find that if I'm watching TV or sitting for more than an hour or so I get itchy feet and have to get up and do something! My fiance keeps on at me to get out on our bikes - but I am always astounded at how hard it is now- it really gives a workout!

Thanks for advice on zinc- I am really funny about seafood and it is all psychological. Sad really as fishing is a big part of industry here in the North East! I do like liver when stewed so I will definitely try and add that into my diet. I have really upped the fruit and veg and have found that I'm enjoying salads and even craving them. I think being pregnant helped me to listen to my body more - I think it does let you know what you need and don't need.

To be honest when it comes to doctors I'm not sure how much they really understand PCOS at all. I get such different stories from people. Not to mention the main treatment for PCOS is the pill which I was on for 10 years so I would never have known if I was capable of ovulating or having periods on my own. I am just trying to concentrate on being as healthy as I can be. I am glad to have that as a goal. It would have been my 12 week scan tomorrow and I have been feeling really down - I think I will be able to really move on after that I think.

A fantastic choice of project. I have tried to lose weight in many ways and I have found that all these low fat/ low calorie or diets that restrict certain foods do not fit into everyday life and if you eat 'normally' for even a day the weight just piles on. I think this is why people who are overweight end up obese in the long run. They are also quick fixes rather than inspiring people to make a lifestyle change with a new mindset about food, which for me is what I need. You will really be able to get your teeth stuck into that topic area! As an overweight person I will be interested in your findings as well!
debs29

Postby Amber » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Debbie

I know it can be hard when you come up to appointment days, my 12 scan date was only 5 days after my miscarriage so I was really upset on that day. It would have been my 16 week appointment on Xmas eve but I found that easier to get through. We are planning on going on holiday during the week I would have been due. I thought it would be better to be away on that date doing some fun things in order to take my mind off it. I've been looking for places this weekend.

I get really frustrated with the male fertilty 'experts' as they have no idea what it is like to be female and have never had any experience of a period, period pain, cramping, ovulation, pregnancy etc, etc. They just go by the book and don't seem to realise that we as women do feel these things and can work out what are bodies are doing without blood tests and scans all the time. At least when I had my miscarriage I saw female gynaecologists who could understand my descriptions of pain.

I did get out on my bike for a bit, however the weather was not as good as I had hoped (very light rain and mist) and I have been feeling tired today too so didn't do my usual route. I will try again maybe Tuesday, there is no point in flogging myself when feeling tired because that usually ends up in me coming down with a cold or something. It is my body's way of saying something is up so I am listening. I had quite a busy day yesterday as well.

Cycling is a good workout, I know you shouldn't get obessed with calorie burning (as it just makes you feel more hungry) but I found my heart rate monitor was showing that I burnt double on a good 18 to 20 mile ride than when I used to go to the gym. cycling is more fun than the gym as well.

I found when I was pregnant that I craved warm foods and that seems to have stuck with me. I used to eat loads of salad but since then I have preferred cooked vegetables. It might change again when the weather warms up.

I can't wait to get started on my project. I am planning to do an online survey so I hope I will be allowed to post the link on the verity board as I know there will be loads of women on this board who will be able to help. I will try not to make it too long because I know that can be off putting.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:44 am

Morning Amber,

It must have been so hard to find out you are pregnant and so soon after to MC, so very cruel. That is a really good idea about a holiday during due date - I think about my EDD all the time - not helped by the royal wedding news as it looks as if they would have been due around the same sort of time. It seems to me as if there is some sort of baby boom and everybody is pregnant! I went into melt down yesterday - one of my friends got engaged. I am not a jealous person but I was so jealous not of being engaged (as I am anyway) but because I knew how happy she was and I was so jealous that my happiness has been robbed (I am still happy for her just wish it was me as well). It is ridiculous I know!!! Also we have been engaged for 3 years and last week we decided to plan our wedding so that at least we can say that something good will have happened in 2013 and now I feel this has been overshadowed by her news. Because we haven't told anyone everyone will think we are just planning our wedding because she is. I wouldn't usually care what people think but my emotions are all over the place.

Glad you got out for a cycle but you are right not to push yourself. I always listen to my body and rest up when it is a bad day emotionally or physically. I have joined gyms in the past but no more - exercise is for general wellbeing as well, so getting out in the fresh air with beautiful scenery is all part of the experience. I am enjoying my walks a lot and miss it when I haven't been out. I think that checking the calories for cycling is fine for the purpose you describe. You are now content in the knowledge that your cycling is a sufficient replacement for the gym. I seem to be losing weight quite quickly. Am concerned by this as it usually is very slow. I don't want to lose it too quickly as it is difficult to sustain. Do you think my pregnancy has affected my metabolism? I am eating lots - 3 full meals with protein, carbs and fruit/ veg as well as 2-3 snacks per day.

I hope you get to put up a link - I will certainly help where I can. Weight is an issue for so many PCOS sufferers and the main advice doctors give is to lose weight without any guidance or advice on how. I am sure there will be heaps of experiences!

Have a good day - I hope you are taking it easy if you aren't quite feeling A1.
debs29

Postby Amber » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am

I have just started bleeding again today and I am only on day 18 of my cycle. That was probably why I was feeling tired yesterday, my hormones are all over the place. I have had just under 2 weeks without bleeding and now it has started again! I am sick of it. I won't be going to the doctors though as I know their answer would be to take the pill which I refuse to do ever again. Maybe I should get some more accupunture sessions for a bit, I know I can't afford it but it has been the only thing that works and doesn't require medication.

Don't get too caught up on your friend's engagement, get married when it is right for you and no one else. Just be careful not to get caught up in the wedding competition thing. Plan the wedding how you want it and don't get caught in the pressures of having to have a 'better' wedding than anyone else. i.e. spend the most money, have the most guests and gimmicks. The bottom line is if you ask anyone which is the best wedding they have ever been to it will be their own so the keeping up with the Jones approach (which so many women do) just isn't worth it. A wedding is about marrying the person you love and money can't buy love.

Metabolism is a wierd thing and the body can adjust itself beyond your control. You can eat very little and gain weight and sometimes eat lots and loose weight. The calories in = calories out equation is a myth, if you are deprived the body will compensate by making you feel tired, lethargic and cold. If you are healthy the body will burn enough energy to make you feel awake and want to get out and exercise. Just keep eating healthy food and it will help your body to heal.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am

Hi Amber,

Sounds like you have been having a hard week. The bleeding is a nightmare and seems to go on forever- I also find it a constant reminder. It is so difficult because you are trying to feel better (mentally and physically) and it just never ends. Sorry you started bleeding on the pregnancy front - I know you weren't symptom spotting but there is always a wee glimmer. I hope you get another short cycle and ovulate soon. Have you though any more about the acupuncture sessions?

I know it is stupid being jealouse of my friend (I am not usually a jealous person) but I'm not jealous of her wedding - I am so jealous of her happiness. I don't want her not to be it's just that I know when I finally found out I was pregnant I was just so happy - like life couldn't get any better and I'm so jealous of anyone who is experiencing that when I should be. My fiance and I are actually both very shy and want a no fuss wedding. Just something very personal to us - we will only have 11 guests - so there is no comparisons to be had at all. So I'm not like that at all. I agree with the money thing - we are trying to keep costs down - would much rather have more IVF appts than a fancy wedding! A wedding is not a sign of how good the relationship is and I am blessed with a fantastic hubby to be and so it wouldn't matter if we got married in our jogging bottoms :-)

Am still eating well and exercising everyday (on busy days I only do something for 15 mins) but I find that being at home without the stress of work I am more active anyway. Today I am painting my en-suite in between doing 9 weeks of ironing! So I think this is helping - have lost 3.5lbs this week so it's a good start but I think it should level off to 1lb per week which would be healthier.

How are you getting on with your exercise/ assignments with not feeling at your best? Be good to yourself if you aren't feeling great. Thinking of you

Debbie
debs29

Postby Amber » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi Debbie

I am really fed up with the bleeding, for a 17 day cycle I don't know where it is all coming from, it is certainly heavier than a normal cycle and keeps catching me out. It does keep reminding me of my miscarriage and getting me down, I feel quite drained at the moment, looking forward to going to sleep tonight. The fact that the last two cycles have been so short get me down, as my luteal phase is not long enough to allow implantation to happen at the moment, I certainly don't want a cycle that is too short, 28 days would be best. I have another accupuncture session next Monday so I will see what will be the best option.

I know what you mean about wanting that feeling of being elated with happiness. You feel like you are nearly at the top of the snakes and ladders board to reach you goal and then you land on that nasty snake that takes you all the way back to the bottom of the board. Hopefully when our hormones have settled down we will feel better.

It does make a difference having more time for yourself and less time at work. I really noticed this when I cut my hours down in my previous job and that was when my cycles started to get more regular. Doing more meaningful things with your time can make such as difference to your health, both physical and mental. Glad to hear your weight loss is going well, you can treat yourself to a fantastic wedding dress when you get to your goal!

My assignments are making good progress, it keeps my mind in focus and it is something that is important to me which helps. I have to face the statistics tomorrow though which isn't quite so enjoyable!

Amber xxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby debs29 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi Amber,

How are you feeling today? I'm sorry I didn't realise your whole cycle was that short (although I'm a bit ignorant of cycles as I don't have one - yet!!! I live in hope with my diet etc). I know what you mean about the bleeding especially as it is different to your normal cycle, just another reminder - I think it's harder because you are just getting back on your feet and bam, it puts you back again. It's great you have an acupuncture session as the bleeding is so stressful and this affects you considerably. You have had enough bad stuff you need to get a break- I hope the acupuncture works for you again.

You couldn't have put the feeling into words better - exactly like nearly getting there and then just knocking you down. I find that people are also getting fed up hearing about it - they think it's been 4 weeks get over it, but they have no idea what it is like and how long it takes to Miscarry and for hormones to settle, especially when you find it hard to get pregnant in the first place. But we will get there - proof is there we have fallen pregnant and miscarriages are common so we have been unlucky - it's just a waiting game now.

I had my appointment at work today about going back. They were really supportive and I am on a rehab programme for 4 weeks then temp part time after that. I am glad to hear you found it was a better balance cutting down hours - makes me feel even more sure about my decision. I have been exercising every day and I would struggle to fit it all in if I was full time. I had a nice long walk along the beach today - I actually felt a bit lonely and down but afterwards felt much better for having done some exercise!

Great to hear about your assignments - but I come out in a cold sweat when you mention statistics. As an 18 year old I was completely unaware stats was part of psychology and nearly failed my whole degree, as an adult who teaches psych (at very low levels) I still struggle with the statistics side of things. If I teach higher levels inferential stats I have to go and re-learn them all and when they should be used. I hope you got through them!

I also got a letter in from the hospital for a review appointment. The wording of the letter was quite negative - I am hoping that this is a standard letter and not a sign of me having further problems. I hate that I am so negative about everything now- I haven't always been like this.

Also hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Debbie xxx
debs29

Postby Amber » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi Debbie

How was the letter from the hospital negative? Surely it would just be giving you a date and a time for a review and not anything about what would be discussed. I am sure it is a standard letter, hospitals are very good at being standardised. When is your appointment?

It sounds as though your work place is being really good though, sometimes we just try and do too much at once. It works for a while and then our bodies start to break down and shout that they have had enough. For me it was trying to work a stressful job and do a degree part time on top and try and keep up a strict exercise routine and then go through IVF on top. No wonder the IVF didn't work even though I had a day 5 transfer with good blasts, I was so stressed. I look back now I see that I was trying to plant good seeds into poor quality soil. My body was so stressed as it was and then the IVF drugs just finished it off. The down regulation drugs gave me a cyst to start off with and then I am sure I was suffering from mild OHSS when I had the transfer as I felt so bloated and not able to breath fully. When I conceived naturally, I felt so relaxed and full of energy, completely the opposite.

I am feeling a bit better today, the bleeding is calming down, last night I thought it was going to go on for ever as normally it calms down by the end of day 3 but it certainly wasn't going to yesterday. I got one of my assignments back today with a good mark so that helped put me in a better mood. Inferencial statistics are difficult and I will get my head around them but I certainly wouldn't want to teach them. I am not surprised you have to revise them each time, I certainly do. It is really helpful to understand them when looking at research papers though, and that includes the medical ones on PCOS and diet etc.

Hope tomorrow is better for you

Amber xxx
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15