When can you start IVF after a miscarriage?

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

When can you start IVF after a miscarriage?

Postby debs29 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi All,

I am in the process of having a miscarriage and as you all will understand I am totally devastated. I am in no way ready to start thinking about IVF again but I was just wondering when they let you start the process again. I wouldn't have to go through the whole thing again (hopefully) as I have blasts frozen, but I have been suffering quite badly from OHSS.

Thanks

Debbie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIU3rZf/]
debs29

Re: When can you start IVF after a miscarriage?

Postby zanussi » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:01 pm

So sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I think it depends on where you live and whether you're NHS or self-funding. I think generally they like you to have at least 1 natural cycle between treatments but this may be increased to allow you to fully recover from OHSS, because of funding issues, whether your body is actually ready to begin again, etc... I had around a year between each of my IVF and FET cycles as, although I never even got a BFP until our final cycle, I needed that time to grieve for what could have been and to get my body back into the optimal condition to begin again.
Take your time and don't feel pressured into starting treatment again if you don't feel ready. Equally if you want to start sooner then make sure your clinic know.
Take care of yourself hun xxx
zanussi

Postby debs29 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Zanussi - I am going to focus on healthy mind and body and see how I feel in the new year.

My consultant says they are happy to start when I feel ready but I need to take time to make sure I really am ready.

Take care

Debbiex
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIU3rZf/]
debs29

Postby littlelolly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi debs,

I am so sorry to hear your news. It takes time and you need to give yourself time to recover physically and emotionally. I too had a miscarriage in September but unlike some my body took longer than normal to recover. I was due to start IVF when I found out I was PG but lost it at 8 weeks. My clinic said to wait until I was ready but I think they like you to have natural cycle also. I am about to start my treatment at the end of the month. Take as long as you need and don't rush into anything. I understand IVF to be a very emotional and physically demanding process and you need to be able to get through it and be in top form. Listen to your body and you will know when the right time is. Use the time inbetween to grieve, cry, get angry whatever you need xxx
littlelolly

Return to Pregnancy Loss