How long does it take to get over a loss?

A safe haven for you to discuss losing a pregnancy and recurrent miscarriage

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

How long does it take to get over a loss?

Postby Amber » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:40 pm

How long did it take others to get over a loss? I am really trying to get on with my life but finding it really difficult to be positive all the time. I have been getting on with my uni work and that is all on track but I still get those feelings of loss out of my mind. I was in such a postive mindset before all this happened and I am having real trouble trying to pick myself up.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
6 x Clomid 50mg Ov BFN - 24-26 days
1 x clomid 100mg over stimulated
Cyclogest
IVF 1st round - 2 blasts BFN
Letting thing happen naturally
BFP @ 11 wks - Nov 12 mmc 12 wks
BFP @ 8 wks - 21/05/14 EDD 31/12/14
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Re: How long does it take to get over a loss?

Postby joannapage » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi Amber

I remember you from your first IVF cycle and i'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

I've had 3 m/c now, with the most recent being in June this year after an IVF BFP. I hate to say it but I'm still not 'over' it. I dont think about it constantly anymore and it doesn't hurt as much as it used to, but it's still there. The first year i think is the worst as there will be due dates, anniversaries etc and whilst i'm not one for dwelling, i also don't want to forget what should have been.

One day at a time, time is the only healer in my experience. If you want to get upset, get upset, don't beat yourself up though if you don't.

So sorry you're having to go through this xx
IVF#4 - BFP. DS born 01/14.
Ttc#2 - mc July 15
FET - Nov 15 - chemical pregnancy
Shock Natural BFP - DS2 born 10/16
joannapage

Postby Amber » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks Joanna, I think I got my hopes up to much especially as I was so amazed it was a natural BFP. I made a decision not to go through any more IVF as it caused me so much stress so by the time I conceived naturally I had come to terms with not having children. Now all that has changed again, though I still refuse to take any fertility treatment as I believe the drugs cause me too much anxiety. I think yesterday was bad because it was going to be my dating scan day and had been looking forward to getting my first ever scan picture. It then didn't help with all the 'royal' coverage in the news which I felt was rubbing salt into the wounds.

I want to get back to trying again but I am still spotting and I know there is risk of infection from starting too soon. Maybe tomorrow! I have now got a headache and sore throat just to make things worse. Got my check up scan tomorrow so hopefully we can see it is all clear and move on.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby hope07 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Amber (()) If I'm truly honest I dont think you ever get over pg loss, BUT as time passes the pain becomes less and you can move on.
My first mc was in April 2006 and even now I always feel sad on what would have been my EDD and I still think that my baby would now have been *years old.
Whilst we were on our TTC journey and going through the bfp/mc cycle I got quite bitter and it felt like my life was on hold whilst everyone else was moving on.
Its hard but it does get easier over time x
7 -1st Trimester M/C's- TTC since Oct 05

Mummy to two beautiful children
1 DS- IVF
1 DD- Natural BFP
hope07

Postby beaglelady » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 pm

amber i agree with the others that time does help but anniversaries come back to bite you. i think it is also probably easier to move on if you do have a successful pregnancy which i hope you go onto have.
had the lot pcos endometriosis, adenomyosis and fibroids. now in early surgical menopause.
beaglelady

Postby Sazwell » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi amber
The lovely ladies have said most of what I was going to say.. It does ease but it takes a long time after my loss in 08 I still think about what could have been still now! It's a long road and especially hard as you say you have slowly moved on from ttc and then this blow brings you back to square one and crave to feel as happy as you did when you found out. I remember thinking (especially in '08) I wish I'd never gotten pregnant as it seemed harder than just getting another bfn?!?! Hope I'm making sense.. But now looking back I have to be grateful for every moment I had my babies for however short, I'll never forget them.
Everyone is different and deals with it in different ways you just do whatever you feel you need to do to deal with you loss.. Cry, scream, take time out??? It's so hard honey but all the ladies on here know exactly how you feel so feel free if you need to talk we're all here for you xxxx
Diagnosed PCOS 1998 - 2 rounds of clomid no o'v
150mg Clomid ov miracle BFP- Sept 08, Eptopic Oct 08
IVF #1March 09 BFN- short protocol IVF #2 long protocol BFP- 24/8/09 My miracle boy born 8/5/10- 2 blasts in the freezer!
May '12 FET 14.5.12 BFN 22.5.12
Awaiting next af to start Ivf #3 natural BFP 9.8.12 (shock????) no heartbeat mmc at 10weeks 21.9.12 x
Another natural miracle BFP 21.11.12?! (8 weeks after my erpc) x another miracle boy born 14.7.13 x
Sazwell

Postby littlelolly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Amber, I recently suffered a loss and it is such a painful thing to go through. Time is a great healer and each day gets easier. Some days are bad some are good. Allow yourself to grieve and let any emotion you have out. Do not bottle anything up and talk to us if you need to. Big hugs xxx
littlelolly

Postby Amber » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Thanks Littlelolly - I am managing to talk about it and I think it helped having my final scan today and talking to the lady at EPU who did the scan. It is too easy to blame yourself and keep thinking 'what did I do wrong' . I know now there is nothing I did wrong, I eat a good diet, exercise, don't smoke, drink much etc etc. In the long run I guess it is better that the body terminates a fetus with a genetic abnormality as it would distressing to have a disabled child.

The bleeding has stopped now which has helped. DH on the otherhand is not so good at talking about it. Gave himself a migrane yesterday which affected his vision so trying to get him to talk about it now.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
Cyclogest
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Postby joy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi Amber I know I've posted on other threads, i had a mmc was Wen i was 23, through ivf with triplets, I was 13 weeks and I've never got over it but it does get easier, I'm still childless but hoping for a miracle. My triplets wud have been 19! 2 weeks ago going by my Edd. I said I wud light 3 candles every year which I still do, I hope everyone on here finds the strenghth to move on and hopefully get the baby they have always wanted... Xxxxxx
Diagnosed infertile(blocked tubes,adhesions) 1992
Ivf x 3 early 90's- mmc triplets & 2bfn
Oct 2011 lap found left tube open!But dont ov
clomid x8 1 molor n 1 ectopic,right tube removed
No more funding due to my age
Natural ov since feb 2013 bfn's
nov 2013 diagnosed hyperplasia
march 2014 decided one last attempt.....ivf!
Scan showed fluid in tube, tube has to clipped before starting short protocl..praying il finally get my miracle at 44 years old!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3b92da
joy
Verity Moderator

Postby MissLMWilson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 pm

When reading the other replies, I feel foolish telling my story.
I was 15 when I became pregnant...as a young teenager experiencing the world. I had a miscarriage, when I didnt know I was pregnant. I later found out I was 8 weeks gone.
It wasnt untill I was 21 until I found out I had PCOS.
I had already started the healing process regarding my miscarriage before my diagnosis. I had counselling and medication and everything.
Howevere when I was diagnosed and I asked my GP the question 'Is this why I miscarried?' I got the answer that I knew in my heart. This has however reopened my wounds and its a long road ahead but I believe that time is a healer.
I hope this has helped?
xxx
24yr old trying to make sense of this PCOS world <3
MissLMWilson

Return to Pregnancy Loss