'Lorraine' item on post-natal depression this morning

A place where you can discuss adoption and moving on after the TTC journey

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

'Lorraine' item on post-natal depression this morning

Postby blou1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:14 am

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:13 am Post subject: 'Lorriane' (ITV) item on post-natal depression this morning
I don't normally watch ITV in the mornings but I just caught an item on Lorraine (ITV) this morning about post-natal depression. Dr Hillary and Susanne Shaw were talking about it and recommending anti-depressants. 5 symptoms of PND were listed and I identify with all of them, but my depression is due to not being able to conceive, rather than being post-natal. As serious as PND is, and it's not a competition I know, I feel that infertility is either invisible or grossly misrepresented in the media ('IVF can work for everyone' type myths). I'm sure the same can be said for miscarriage too. I felt compelled to get in touch with the programme so called the team and explained that 1 in 6 couples are affected by infertility which is extremely difficult to deal with, causes depression etc, that anti-depressants are not as easy to contemplate when TTC and that IVF doesn't work for everyone. I said it would be nice if the programme could cover these issues at some point too.

I'm sure the more they hear from people, the more likely they'll be to respond to the issue so if you feel the same and you have a spare moment, Google 'Lorraine, and contact the programme by email, text or phone to raise the issue?
TTC #1 since 01/10
Me:34
irregular cycles in 2010 after stopping Pill
02/11- U/S shows polyps & PCO
04/11- CD3 bloods fine. Start acupuncture weekly
06/11-L+D & hystero, polyp removed, all clear
07/11-10/11 4 cycles of Clomid 50mg - all ovulatory but no BFP
DH:32, all fine
Referred to ACU.
First IVF cycle (short protocol)
ET 19/12/11 - 1x 5 day blasto :)
BFP 30/12/11 :D