Fostering

A place where you can discuss adoption and moving on after the TTC journey

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Fostering

Postby emma495 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Have just applied to become a foster parent! Have spent 7 years ttc and it feels like time to take another path. I so desperately want to be a mum that maybe while i'm waiting i can help ease someone else's pain.
Fingers crossed for me please, I know it's going to be a long process but hey I have PCOS, I can cope with anything!!
Spreading wishes and babydust to you all
emma495

Postby MsMara » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:15 am

Good luck hun
The best thing about life is that it's never so bad that it can't get worse.

Trying to lose 6 stone
MsMara

Postby tatie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi Emma - why fostering and not adoption? Curious as we went the other way and decided on adoption even though we initially expressed interest in both xXx
tatie

Postby Hols969 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:28 pm

We are going down the fostering route and it isnt as long as I thought it would be (our issue is now that we cant get on a local fostering course which is a bit of pain).

We are not TTC as we have Noah luckily but they are quite strict about if you are still TTC or whether you are continuing I think.

One thing I would say is make sure you are as honest as poss because if you arent and it is found out then you are straight off the list!! One other thing is to go direct to your council rather than any of the private agencies as you get a better choice of a child that would suit you and your family, whereas the private agencies tend to get the more difficult youngsters!!
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby tatie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:00 am

Another tip - something that happened to us - don't be surprised if your own local authority are not interested in you. If they are trying to place children that live in the same town as you that can be really tricky for them - most authorities prefer to have people from the 'next town' on the books. Coventry would not accept an application from us when we lived there so we ended up registering with Solihull. Now that Solihull are looking at children for us, the fact that we don't live on the doorstep of the birth families is a real bonus - we've actually moved to Lichfield in the meantime which is even better for Solihull. Hope that makes sense - bit of a ramble xXx
tatie

Fostering

Postby emma495 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 pm

Decided on fostering as we have good friends that have been doing it for over 16 years and we decided to foster first and then maybe look at adoption later on. Ready for any problems that can be thrown at us as have a 19 year old stepdaughter and her mum well and truly messed her head up, hence her then living with us.

Thanks for all the advice ladies, it's been taken on board.
Fingers crossed for me.
Spreading wishes and babydust to you all
emma495

Return to Childlessness