When is it right to consider adoption?

A place where you can discuss adoption and moving on after the TTC journey

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

When is it right to consider adoption?

Postby Mevstar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi,

Having been TTC for three years (it's probably not long for some people) and now feeling that maybe it's not meant to be, I'd like to start considering adopting, I'd even be happy to foster (I have had a foster sister from the age of 9 who came from the most distressing background so understand the difficulties etc).

I'm 30, my DH is 34, and I've got so much love to give I'd like to do it sooner rather than in another 5 years when TTC might still not have worked? What's the recommended age, i feel as if they'd take one look at me and close the door? We both have stable careers, a lovely home, two lovely cats, and all that's missing is some little voices and the sound of little footsteps running around the house.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been through both the personal process and the actual adoption process.

xxx
TTC Year 5
Metformin 01/07 - 08/09
Clomid 50mg - Had 14 cycles!!
Lap diathermy & Hysteroscopy 02/09
BFP 05/09 MC 2 days later
IVF round 1 10/10
Two loving Cats that fill the void :-)
Mevstar

Postby ScubaGirl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Have a look on the be my parent website, there is lots of info on there!
You'll want to adopt them all.
Stay positive, your new child/children could already be waiting for you :)
ScubaGirl

Postby LittleMissSnowShine » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:52 pm

I have two cats too, Mevstar!

I was thinking about fostering too, since me and DH hadn't really started ttc before we found out on xmas eve that we have a bun in the oven lol

But even in the circumstances and if all goes well, fostering is def something I'd think about in the future. OH works teaching basic literacy and (optimistically!) GCSE English to really troubled 15/16 year olds and when you hear about some of the backgrounds they've come from it really makes me want to try and make a difference in a child's life, even if just for a few weeks or months.

Best of luck with the whole adoption/fostering process - my OH's aunt and uncle adopted a little boy 20 years ago after ttc for 5 years and a year after they adopted their son OH's wife found out she was pregnant and had a healthy baby girl as well as their much loved adopted son so sometimes things work out how they're supposed to :)
- Diagnosis Jan 09
- v unexpected BFP xmas eve 09!!
LittleMissSnowShine

Postby tatie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Have your read our story on the Anyone starting the adoption process thread? Hope things are moving in the right direction for you - best wishes - Tatie xXx
tatie

Return to Childlessness