insurance claim for damaged roof

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

insurance claim for damaged roof

Postby Constance » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Our roof got damaged quite heavily during the Monday storm and we will have to claim the cost from our building insurance. We are currently in the process of waiting for the insurance company's assessor who is coming tomorrow, hopefully. It is a first for me and DH - we have never had any claims from our insurance like that, well in fact we have never had any claims at all.

Does anyone know what the process looks like? Can I use my own builder? How good the insurers will be in paying for the damage (the wind here was around 90mph), Is it going to take ages? Will they be able to find a builder for us? Will we have to fight them about everything? Are they going to go mad if we try to replace the rest of the roof and pay for it ourselves? We already wasted a few days waiting for their builder who only took photos and never came back with a quote (they are too busy!) and one of our builders failed to show up or phone today - that wasted us 3 more days...

The roof is heavily damaged and it leaks when it rains, the ceiling in my baby's room is destroyed and the whole room stinks of wet plaster, there were also other leaks, but as the places are not decorated yet, I don't really mind, as long as the plasterboards don't need changing... :cry:

I would appreciate any comments, thank you. x
M/C Jan 2008
Diagnosed PCOS Apr 2008
Baby boy born on 25/06/09
M/C Jan 2012
Baby boy born on 31/05/13

ImageImage

ImageImage

Constance

Re: insurance claim for damaged roof

Postby CysterSister90 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:15 am

You've probably gone through the process now, but quite often you need a couple of quotes and they will agree to pay an amount or tell you which company to go for. We got to chose our own company for when our kitchen ceiling collapsed but they chose who to use and ended up going with our original company the second time! x
CysterSister90

Postby Constance » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:57 am

Thank you. Yes, we have gone through it now, the scaffolding is going up today and the roofers are due to start next week. We only got one quote as everyone is so busy we could not get a second builder around! Also the roof repair is urgent so the assessor agreed we should not waste time looking for another quote. x
M/C Jan 2008
Diagnosed PCOS Apr 2008
Baby boy born on 25/06/09
M/C Jan 2012
Baby boy born on 31/05/13

ImageImage

ImageImage

Constance

Postby CysterSister90 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:38 pm

That was good that the assessor was so accommodating - hope you get sorted soon!
CysterSister90

Return to Off Topic