Employee rights whilst on mat leave

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Employee rights whilst on mat leave

Postby Kasha » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:36 am

Another employment question from me!
I've had a letter from work inviting me to a meeting to discuss my role. Long story short i work as a part of a team of 3 cardiac nurses in A&E, we've been in post for 11 yrs now (working in, but not funded by, a&e) and over the last few years our role has been pretty neglected because of other pressures on the dept.in fact since i went back from mat leave after Teaghan i pretty much functioned as a resus nurse, not in my own role. Anyway we have a new manager who hasnt really a clue what we do as she worked elsewhere before coming over to us. So now she has arranged a meeting with us to discuss pur role and probably implement changes in the way we function.
My issue is obviously i'm on maternity leave, officially until 6th jan next year. I know it is my responsibility to keep up to date with whats happening at work but shouldn't i expect some respect from work with the fact that i have a new baby? I am breastfeeding him up to 2 hrly still during day. I have never expressed for him, and frankly i dont really want to. I know i may do in the future but hadnt intended to until he can drink from a sippy cup.
I will ring my boss on monday to discuss it but just wondered if anyone had any hr experience or been-there experience so i have better grounds for my discussion on monday. I want to be involved especially if our role is to change but i dont want to be seperated from Caelan when i am officially on mat leave, just for a meeting at work. Ive not been away from him for longer than about 45 mins.
Any thoughts gratefully accepted x

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Re: Employee rights whilst on mat leave

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 am

Hi Kasha, did you have a call with your boss, I would have thought it would be possible to have a telephone meeting instead - I had a few of those while on leave. Alternatively you will have to take him with you I think so I would say that is the only other option for you as there is no one that can have him and you are bf as well. It is difficult because you dont want to be 'difficult' especially if your job is up for discussion and this manager is new.

How is your OH as well, has he found a new job?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Kasha » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 am

Hi Holly. The meeting has been postponed til July. I'm going to give her sec a ring (couldn't get hold of her last week) and explain my situation. As much as I want to be involved with what is happening the more i think about it, the more I am not prepared to express and introduce a bottle at 3mths to attend a meeting. I've had 3 episodes of mastitis which the breastfeeding coordinator is convinced is down to his latch which i think i have sorted now so i don't want to do anything to interfere with that. I know he has a dummy but i dont want to introduce a teat as well. Plus i dont really want to risk missing a feed. Never want toexperience mastitis again!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby hope07 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:10 am

No words of wisdom, just wanted to say hope it goes well x
7 -1st Trimester M/C's- TTC since Oct 05

Mummy to two beautiful children
1 DS- IVF
1 DD- Natural BFP