Moving up the property ladder

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Moving up the property ladder

Postby Constance » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:45 pm

We put our house on the market on Monday and have just had our first viewing today. They loved the house, want to come and see it again, and we may get an offer. I should be really happy because we want a bigger house, possibly with a bigger garden. But I am quite terrified instead and I feel stressed.

We have put so much efford in the 3-bed semi with 100ft garden we are in now - when we bought it seven years ago it was a disaster - all dirty and horrible with garden full of brambles and huge conifers. We cleared the garden, ripped the conifers out, grew lovely plants in it, bought 2 sheds and a greenhouse, put in 2 sandstone patios and a path, and a matching path outside. We redecorated the whole house, put in new kitchen, bathroom, utility room and downstairs toilet, replaced the windows, central heating, re-wired the whole house, insulated the loft, added a conservatory, furnished it all.... and now I feel like I cannot leave it. If I had a space to extend the house I would, but there is no space to the side, and the rear extension will not give us extra space upstairs, and will make the current rooms dark and useless downstairs.

I'm sorry I'm being a bit silly here - just need somobody to tell me that it is possible to leave one house behind and find another one to love. I'm finding it quite difficult to find a similar combination of nice bigger house, big garden, in the right location (we are close to transport (underground to central London) and within 5 min walk from 2 primary schools, and 10 min from a good secondary school).

Has anyone sold a lovely house to go somewhere else?

Thank you for reading. :)
M/C Jan 2008
Diagnosed PCOS Apr 2008
Baby boy born on 25/06/09
M/C Jan 2012
Baby boy born on 31/05/13

ImageImage

ImageImage

Constance

Postby Hols969 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

I do know exactly how you feel, we have considered moving (partly because the extension we did cost 20K more than it should have) and we have the same dilema that you have put so much sweat and tears into this property that it seems a shame to leave it now its 'perfect'. I would also want to live closer to work as its 45 mins currently.

One thing I would say is you WILL find your next lovely house because you will only buy something that is good/right for you all. There is always the worry that your new neighbours may be terrible but the people next to you could sell and you get someone terrible. I think as long as you research the area properly and also go sit outside the 'new' house at different times of the day to see if there is any noise etc or anything unexpected then you do just have to take that leap.

When we lived in our flat before we did lots of work and I sort of decided to sell on a whim (had had an illness and been off for 7 months) and was as recovered as I was going to get and thought sod it lets just do it. The house we are in is better, had more potential (and we then had Noah) so think that happen/decisions made are for a reason I think.

I do understand the stress tho, as it almost feels like you may need to start all over again on the next house. I think as long as you get something that has potential and get a proper survey then it will be fine. I will quiz you in 2 years and I bet you are just as happy there as you are here.

Also there is no rush, if these people dont offer the asking price then you have time to think, dont rush into it but also dont be put off by 'what ifs' because Im sure the next house would be loved as much as this one. Remember also that they say moving house is the most stressful time of your life!! Wonder why they dont mention TTC tho ....
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Constance » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Thank you Holly. x :)
M/C Jan 2008
Diagnosed PCOS Apr 2008
M/C Jan 2012

ImageImage

ImageImage

Constance

Postby Sammi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:08 pm

I think this too Constance. We have only been in our house 2 and half years, but I love it! It was a repossession when we bought it and although structurally sound, it was a bit grim and VERY dirty when we moved in. We've re-painted every room, skirting board and ceiling. Put in a new bathroom and carpets and wardrobes. Last summer we did the front and back gardens. I just love our little house and will be sad to leave it.

We will need more room one day. I'd love room for a big dining table . And although we live in a nice area, look over horses in the field opposite and can be at work in 7 minutes, there are no nice schools in walking distance and I think that will be what makes us move one day.
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby bloomy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:23 am

I could have written your post myself, word for word almost, even the conifers! We went on the market last Wednesday and gutted that we are leaving our children's first home. The only reason we need to move now is for schools otherwise we could have stayed here a few more years.

Tell you what though after 6 viewings I'm getting so sick and tired of tidying up and getting the kids out each time only to be told they didn't want it. Dylan has had to eat out 3 times this week because viewings have been at tea time, and yeserday I had to make and decorate his birthday cake around viewings without making too much mess! As muh as I love our house and will be gutted to leave I bloomin' well hope someone wants to buy it soon!

Good luck, and I'm sure we'll both find wonderful houses that once we've put our stamp on them (hopefully small stamps this time) they'll be perfect family homes xxx
Proud mummy to my two miracles Dylan born Jan 2009 and Rosie born Dec 2011
bloomy

Postby Constance » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Bloomy - have you had any offers yet?

Just wanted to add that we do not leave the property when somebody comes to see it. The agent could not be bothered so we show the house ourselves - I could not possibly get out each time someone wants to look. I make the kitchen and bathroom and bedrooms look perfect, but the living room is my son's kingdom so most of the time there are toys around, quite a lot of them in fact. :oops: I do put them away if I can, but I cannot move anything he is playig with - it will end up in tears! :)

The viewings are a pain in the neck, as they take up all our free time (if we let them), so sometimes there is no time for us to view anything.

By the way - we have seen a few properties with extra big gardens since my first post and I'm not that sorry to be moving any more. We still have not found the right one, but at least I now know there are some great houses out there. And gardens - because we seem to be mad about a giant garden! Quite a difficult one in London! :lol:
M/C Jan 2008
Diagnosed PCOS Apr 2008
M/C Jan 2012

ImageImage

ImageImage

Constance

Postby Hols969 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Good glad it doesnt seem as daunting Constance. We are all for a big garden too and it will be a major thing for us if we do move (along with parking as well probably!!)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby leylarna » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:17 pm

We are in the last few days of stress before hopefully completing on selling my last house and buying our new one. We spent ages looking at locations that had everything we wanted before we even viewed a house, its quite stressful trying to find a place you will feel at home that has the right amenities and places near by and easy to travel to.

I think part of the joy of a new home is making it your own, so while you're sad to leave somewhere you put so much love into think of the excitement about how you can make a new house all yours.

best of luck with it all :)
If nature had arranged that husbands and wives should have children alternatively, there would never be more than three in a family. ~Lawrence Housman
leylarna

Postby seastargirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 pm

I've lived in a lot of places and just on the tidiness for viewings theme as long as it's clean and things like beds are made, don't worry about toys being out and children being fed. Just like you people aren't looking for a building they're looking for a home to feel happy in and sometimes a pristine house where you feel scared to touch anything doesn't give out that family image that people want.

If it's a couple that are planning kids then the icing of a birthday cake is just going to make them think of the parties that they'll have there and what their kids will get up too.

Also when little I was often introduced to the families children and we'd play together, I can guarantee that the houses with the best toys/kids film on or fun filled garden all got my vote and I always hated the scarily tidy ones.

You will find a house that you love as it's not really the 4 walls that make it the home, it's the people that are in it and the memories that you make there. That's enough slush for a Thursday afternoon!

Happy househunting!
June 2011 - Chlomid 1 - 50mg - 12mm foll CD 12 nothing CD 14
July 2011 - Chlomid 2 - 100mg 14mm Foll CD 12 20mm and 23mm foll CD 15 OV Day 19 - BFP 18/08/11 - please stick little one

seastargirl

Return to Off Topic