Staying positive when the world can feel like a dark place

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Staying positive when the world can feel like a dark place

Postby catnip » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:09 pm

Over the last couple of days the news has been filled with some terrible incidents that have happened. Since the riots and stuff in the uk i have really started to feel disheartened and sometimes its seems like the world is such a dark place. All people seem to do is hurt and kill each other for no reason, others want to control and dictate to each other. Then there is the economic stuff going on

I am sorry this sounds so depressing i think it because me and my partner are trying to start a family and as i think about it all and see some of the things happening I start to wonder if it is safe to bring a child up in this world.

My partner always says that it is a very small minority of incidents and that the world is mainly full of good decent people and that the media only report bad things which make it seem like a terrible place. But it can be hard to keep positive.
catnip

Postby Sammi » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:54 pm

You sounds like me and my OH. But we are the other way round! He says 'he's the ground and I'm his kite!?'

Anyway, of course there are nasty people in the world and awful things happen. The news IS full of nasty happenings, but you have to remember that the 7 - 10 nasty events/people reported per day are out of an entire population of 7 billion (about?!) people in the world. So the vast majority have the same vision as you - to bring a child into the world, raise it surrounded by love and for the child to grow up to be a good person who brings a little bit of goodness to our world. That is human nature. Not the horrible violence, they are the exeptions.

You also have to remember that 'good' can come out of the bad. Remember after the London riots, the 'clean up army' of all the residents in London, who got their brooms and bin bags out and helped their community for FREE! The world is full of good, loving people I promise. Just look at us all here on Verity, supporting each other through good times, bad times, sad times and tough times!
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby Hols969 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:21 pm

You bring your child up to be the best they can be and to have respect for all colours and races.. That is all you can do. Sometimes I do wonder the world Noah may grow up into but I just hope there are more nice than not nice. I do think a lot of it is to do with how they have been brought up. Noah has a few friends who are not the nicest and neither are their parents to be honest, they never say please or thank you so lack manners but so do their parents. You have turned out alright so there is no reason why your child wont as you will install good manners and good thoughts to all others.

I think your OH is right tho is that the bad aspects are always reported, good doesnt get reported as its not interesting enough. I hope we can make the world a nicer place I really do as I despair sometimes as well just at how little thought people have for others!! We had a great report from Noah's first year at school and they said how thoughtful and considerate he was to everyone and what a nice little chap he is. That made me proud as that is what we have tried to install in him.

You can only do your best.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby catnip » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:17 pm

thank you ladies for your positive replies. I have to keep reminding myself that the majority of people are decent and not to get consumed by negative media.

Your words have really helped
catnip

Return to Off Topic