Unemployment.

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Unemployment.

Postby Tulip » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey everyone! It's no secret that unemployment is on the massive increase.
I personally left school at 16, went to college but dropped out (erm...three times) because of depression/anxiety issues. I've worked on and off for four years (I'm now 20) and my last job ended in April this year, due to no fault of my own. I'm finding it depressing not doing anything. I've had 2 unsuccessful interviews, and while I understand that it's good to even get to the interview stage, it's all getting disheartening. My family keep calling me a waster and telling me to get a life etc, but I'm applying for around 15 jobs a day through various means. I've had my CV checked by my job centre advisor, he says it's great, but due to around 300 people applying for one job, it feels like I'll never get anywhere!. 90% of the time I don't even get a reply. Does anyone have any advice on how to stay positive during unemployment? I'm bored and moody! Haha. Thank you :)
Tulip

Postby Lamb » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi Tulip,

Whereabouts in the country do you live?

A friend of mine was unemployed for about 8 months this year and she was really feeling similar to you. She found a local 'Farm Club' (sounds a bit weird I know!) and volunteered with them - mainly she was just helping out feeding and mucking out animals and helping with some basic landscaping stuff.

It really helped her to keep busy, as for her (not sure if you have the same, although I saw you mentioned anxiety/depression) all the sitting around the house every day with too much time to 'think' was really starting to affect her mentally.

Have you looked into doing anything voluntary? Or unpaid work for a company (any friends or family work anywhere you could pick on?) It would probably look good on your CV too if you have been seen to do that (over the other hundreds applying for the jobs who haven't).

Fingers crossed you find something soon.

:)
Diagnosed PCOS - Apr 09
Supplements: Omega 3 Oils, multivitamin /mineral
Holistic Support: Indian Herbs
BMI: TBC Weight: TBC
Mummy to baby Harrison born 13-1-2012!
*******STAY POSITIVE*******
Lamb

Postby Tulip » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Lamb! Thank you for your reply :-)

I'm from Manchester, so you'd think there would be tons of jobs around! I have a slight disadvantage as I can't drive, so I should probably look into lessons when I'm a bit better off financially.

I can totally relate to your friend, having too much time to think really does ruin you! Haha. I've applied for a few voluntary jobs, I wasn't accepted for a couple as I look after my baby sister 4 days a week whilst my mum's at work, I have her from 4pm-9pm and the hours clashed. My mum won't find alternative childcare unless I have a paid job, so I'll just keep looking for voluntary work that I can do until 4. I've always been very keen on voluntary work anyway, and that it'll look good on CV is a great advantage :D

Thank you for the crossed fingers, hopefully I'll be on here in a week after my first day at my new job :)
Tulip

Postby CysterSister90 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:52 pm

Just a warning to anyone who reads this that if you are on JSA whilst being unemployed and a lot of people are, that the Job Centre will try to affect your JSA for any voluntary work that you do. I know it is wrong but my partner got stung by this. I was out of work not so long ago so I know how hard it is for you, I developed lots of hobbies such as photography and baking and thats how I kept myself sane. Now I'm in a full time job, so it will happen soon its just sooo disheartening in the mean time.

Good Luck and I hope you find work soon,
Liz x
CysterSister90

Postby Hols969 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:45 pm

I think I would feel depressed as well if I had nothing to do, its like a vicious circle sometimes. You arent a waster so try and ignore the comments, all you can do is try and you are, it is a really difficult time at the moment getting a job so you arent alone.

As Lamb said I would look for volunteer work etc just to keep your mind active, I would also exercise more as well as this can help your mood. You can get gym memberships from some GP's which you may be eligible for.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Sazzle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:58 pm

I was unemployed for 3 years and it was horrible some weeks I was sending over 200 letters off to companies asking about any vacancies they had.I also had over 36 interviews and finally a few months ago I was successful and got myself a part time job and things have improved for me.All I can say to anyone trying to find work is just to keep trying I know how difficult it is but something will turn up xxx
Sazzle

Return to Off Topic