Career Change- Nursing

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Career Change- Nursing

Postby JenC » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Hi all,

I know from my presence on the TTC board that a few of you are nurses and I wondered if you had any advice for me? I'm thinking of changing career to become a nurse.

When I completed my psychology degree, I had a place to study Nursing the following September. However, I got a full time job in the meantime and enjoyed having the money from a full time job so never started the course :oops:

So, a few years later I'm feeling unhappy at work- whilst I like what I do I find it boring and unstimulating and I'm bored sat in an office all day. I really want to do something that helps others, keeps me busy and has the opportunity to develop my career through education etc.

I think in my heart of hearts I'd like to go for it, but wanted to get some advice on the reality of nursing and the hours required from the training. I'd be looking at doing the Graduate Entry qualification or the MSc in Nursing Science at Nottingham uni.

Does anyone have any advice etc?

Many thanks in advance,

Jen
JenC

Postby beaglelady » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:09 pm

Jen. Kasha is a nurse might be worth pming her
had the lot pcos endometriosis, adenomyosis and fibroids. now in early surgical menopause.
beaglelady

Postby penguin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi,

I'm studying Medicine having done a completely different degree first time round. It was absolutely the right decision for me but going back to uni is a a big decision to make. Have you had any work experience? That would probably really help you to see if its really for you. Or you could look for jobs as a nursing auxillary to help you gain some experience. I don't find the age gap much of a problem, I don't like going out clubbing as much as I used to first time round but it doesn't really bother me.

Its worth finding out about the finance, I'm not sure if the NHS still pays for the fees for nurses. Otherwise you might find you can't get a tuition fee loan as you already have an equivalent level qualification. This happened to me after student loans told me I would be elligible for one, so I've had to find the money myself (make sure you verify anything you're unsure of, it took me 3 calls to 3 different people to get a correct answer about this) My friend's gf studied the MSc course at Nottingham and seemed to really enjoy it.

I hope this is of some help, I know I'm not a nurse but I thought my experience might be helpful

x
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
penguin

Postby JenC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:20 am

Beaglelady- Thank you for that- I'll drop her a PM at somepoint.

Penguin- Thanks for taking the time to reply- I appriciate your thoughts. It's just always something I've been attracted to but my Mum is a nurse and I've always felt that it's her "area" and that I wanted to forge my own path. I have worked as a support worker when I was at uni, so I have some idea of what the work might entail- like you say it's just funding it! From my research so far the NHS will pay tution fees- but it's meeting the living costs whilst I'm doing it that might be the problem. Best of luck with your medical degree.

Thanks both

Jen x
JenC

Postby Kasha » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:30 am

Jen i've pm'd you

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby georgie76 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:01 pm

At the moment I the NHS are still paying the course fees and there is a small bursary available (I think this is true for gradute entry too).

I'm glad I did my training, it's a bit of a slog at times, you have to work full time when on placement and do coursework but if you pace yourself you should be fine.
Diagnosed PCOS in 1996
TTC number 2 since 2005
Surprise BFP 8th April. Delivered 26th Nov 2011

georgie76

Postby JenC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks for that Georgie!

Jen
JenC

Postby -Lydia- » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:08 pm

I am in a very similar position to you !
I'm currently doing my second year of a Psychology degree and have been eyeing up the GEN Nursing course at Nottingham !
Before I applied to university I was torn between doing nursing and psychology but have now decided I really want to do nursing. I don't want to drop out of what I'm doing now though. Confusing times !
I would say go for it. You still get an NHS bursary for the GEN course, depending on income. I would get £6700 a year.
However, they are getting rid of the nursing diplomas and replacing them with degree courses, the last diploma courses start in 2012. I'm not sure if this affects the GEN courses though :/ I hope not.
Do you know of any other universities that do this course?
xx
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

* In the process of getting from 12 stone to 9 stone. Currently 10.5 stone
* Diagnosed May 2011, aged 20
* Currently on Nexplanon after trying various contraceptive pills
* Determined to conquer PCOS! =)
-Lydia-

Postby JenC » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi Lydia,

I have PM'd you as my reply was turning into an essay!

Jen x
JenC

Postby MsMara » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:08 pm

I got accepted to do nursing but never started due to health problems. Its always been the one thing I'd love to do, really hope one day I can.

Hope you're able to do it. No advice but good luck. Ooo actually there's a brill student nurses forum for those who are or are hoping to do nursing some day. I'll try to find the link for you.
The best thing about life is that it's never so bad that it can't get worse.

Trying to lose 6 stone
MsMara

Postby JenC » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 am

Hi MsMara,

Thanks a lot for your good wishes and I hope that you are able to go for nursing one day :D

Put in an application but recently found out that I am 7 weeks pregnant, so it looks like my plans might change somewhat! Hopefully I will be to apply again next year.

Jen x
JenC

Return to Off Topic