HR advice needed

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

HR advice needed

Postby Sunnyday » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:49 pm

I know a few girls on here work in HR, so am hoping to get some advice.

A girl I work with is due to come back from mat leave next month, but she has told me today she is handing her notice in because they are making her work fridays and she can't get childcare.

When I came back from mat leave in March she was already on mat leave and when I asked for part time hours I was told as long as i did 9-5 it didn't matter what days I did, so I chose to do Mon,Tue,Wed. I am feeling guilty because my choice of work days have had an effect on hers, but I thought the hours you worked before mat leave you where entitled to work again.

Does anyone know what your rights are?
Sunnyday

Postby Hols969 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:05 pm

I do think it varies to be honest (Im not an HR expert). It is not your fault so don't worry or feel guilty. I know they can change your job too etc. I hated being part time after I had Noah because I always felt they made you feel second class because you are 'only part time'. My desk was moved because I was part time as well.

I know when I increased my days from 3-4 they had to get it approved so Im not sure you are 'entitled' to work the time / hours you did before, Im sure there are lots of loopholes as well.... they can also change your job and things as well (it has to be similar enough tho).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby seastargirl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Hello,

You should be able to return to your job as it was before she left, so whatever she was contracted to do before she went on mat leave. If she was contracted to work Monday to Thursday then they can't change this, unless they follow a consultation process with her, at the end of this consultation they could change the hours with the 30 days notice. But they can't simply say, your contract say you work Monday to Thursday but we want you to work Tuesday to Friday.

Any adjustments that you may request due to returning from mat leave are at the discretion of the company, however due to flexible working laws there should be "valid business reason" for declining the request.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

SSG
June 2011 - Chlomid 1 - 50mg - 12mm foll CD 12 nothing CD 14
July 2011 - Chlomid 2 - 100mg 14mm Foll CD 12 20mm and 23mm foll CD 15 OV Day 19 - BFP 18/08/11 - please stick little one

seastargirl

Return to Off Topic