iPhone Apps

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

iPhone Apps

Postby bloomy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:28 pm

I am new to the world of Apple and got my first iPhone almost 2 weeks ago. There are millions of apps to choose from and I haven't got a clue where to start. Has anyone got any good apps they can recommend?

I feel I can cope with no apps at all to be honest but DH is paying the bill and I think he's a bit disappointed that all I've used it for so far is phone calls, texts and facebook!

Thanks girls xxx
Proud mummy to my two miracles Dylan born Jan 2009 and Rosie born Dec 2011
bloomy

Postby Lamb » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:10 pm

As you're preggers, Baby Centre have an app which is really quite good :)
Diagnosed PCOS - Apr 09
Supplements: Omega 3 Oils, multivitamin /mineral
Holistic Support: Indian Herbs
BMI: TBC Weight: TBC
Mummy to baby Harrison born 13-1-2012!
*******STAY POSITIVE*******
Lamb

Postby Sammi » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Well you can always use the internet for checking Verity! The safari (internet) enables you to keep several tabs/pages open at once, and Verity is always open on mine. Make sure you connect it to your home and work wifi as then internet access is unlimited. If you are using the 3G (out and about internet connection) it will eat into your monthly mobile web allowance.

I use eBay quite a lot so have the eBay app. I also use the Facebook app and My fitness Pal at the moment. They are the only ones I use regularly. You could probably find a pregnancy app...

Oh and I'm on Orange so use the Orange Wednesday BOGOF cinema tickets app.

I have a bunch more but hardly use them! You can always delete them if you decide they aren't for you. I haven't paid for a single one either.

My OHs favourites (in case you intend to share) are Angry Birds (a silly game when you have to shoot birds at pigs, or pigs at birds, but he likes it) and Sikipeadia (a very rude and vulgar list of jokes, again must only appeal to men!).

Hope that helps a bit x
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby Kasha » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:00 pm

I have an ipad not an iphone but it uses more or less the same apps.
The ones i use the most are facebook, ebay, twitter and the news apps (bbc news and sky aports news) I also use the nectar app which is quite useful, and if you shop at sainsburys theres an app for that as well which will tell ypu which are the best deals in store.
I also use thw kindle app, and my hubby uses that on his phone too, kt is quite readable on the smaller screen of a phone.
Amazon have an app too
Those are the main ones i use i think, apart from angry birds of course which is very addictive!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby bloomy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:49 am

Oooh thanks girls, now got ebay and baby centre. Kasha I'll look for Sainsburys in a minute, excellent idea! I've also just found one that I can record babies movements on, as the doctor reminded me this morning that I should be making note of them to check it is more than 10 times a day. And I've found a breastfeeding one too which will save me carrying my notebook around to record times and left or right!

Keep them coming!!

x
bloomy

Postby georgie76 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Bounty have a pregnancy app too, it's free but not brilliant. There's also a pregnancy app called sprout which I really like and has counters for kicks and contractions (when the time comes).
I'm totally addicted to angry birds which I think is the only paid app I have.
As Kasha said, the news apps are good.
I use accuweather and met office apps too.
There are apps for iplayer, ITV player and 4od too.
Also wikipedia, tesco, argos, ikea.
Diagnosed PCOS in 1996
TTC number 2 since 2005
Surprise BFP 8th April. Delivered 26th Nov 2011

georgie76

Postby Trying » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:07 pm

I liked the what to expect app, it does a PG one and a baby one for feeds & sleeps.

Fisherprice had some baby games/flashcard/songs ones which amuse D for a little while, but actually he enjoys jsut playing with the phone regardless.

White Noise app was good for helping him & me sleep on the odd occasion (do need to leave the phone plugged in though!)

I bought Tetris a I love that game, but had to delete it becuase I was staying up for hours at night doing Tetris Marathons!! When really should have been catching up on my sleep with D!!

Shazam - f you hear a song you can use this to find out the name of it!

Emoji Free - s you can add smilies to your text mesages.

Ringtone Designer - lets you edit a phone from the ipod side and use as your ringtone.

Kiddicare - I use this for a price checker when in Mothercare! ;)

And I'mm spent!! ;)
Sam
2010 - PMA beats PMT, TTC & The Blues! It worked BFP on 03/04/10!!!
TTC - June 07
Clomid - 3/4 cycles 09 all BFN
TTC #2 - Dec 2011 (met since May 12, and lots of lbs to lose!!)
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/24e4af

Trying

Postby Netty » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Angry birds is a must have game! Be warned, it's addictive!!

Also the ibooks app- you can get loads of free books to be had!
Netty

Postby bloomy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 am

I now have loads! I am quite addicted to searching the App store for freebies!

Really good ones I've found in addition to those already mentioned by others:

Tunein Radio
Findaproperty & Rightmove
Zoopla (stand outside a house thats for sale and it will tell you the details, or just search for houses for sale near wherever you are and also sold prices)
Around me
Whats app
AA days out
Red laser (bar code scanner, searches for the cheapest price on the internet)
360 camera

Oh and angery birds - I had a quick go but I don't have the patience, however yesterday my friends 2.5 year old was on it and is up to level 12. What???
bloomy

Postby Sammi » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:27 am

I have Rightmove! I dream about when we can afford our next house and look at all the massive 10 bedroomed ones (because I am nosey more than anything else!).

I also have one that finds the nearest loos. That was quite good when we went to Stratford upon Avon and I needed a tinkle.
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby EmptyInside » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Bejewelled... horribly addictive!! keep killing my poor phone then having to charge it up so i can play again!!
EmptyInside

Return to Off Topic