Party Food....

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Party Food....

Postby TryingAgain » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:59 am

I am getting myself into a bit of a flap about the amount of food I have to do for DD's birthday party and have a couple of questions.

Is it OK to cook frozen sausage rolls and chicken nuggets and pizzas etc the night before? put them on the platters cover with foil and leave them in the utility until the party the next day? It is quite cold out there.

I wanted to do jelly for the kids, as we are having a halloween party I was going to get some halloween cups from the pound shop and do green jelly in them, will the jelly be OK in those paper type cups? I can't find any plastic ones with halloween decoration.

I have about 30 adults and 15 kids, I don't know whether to do just one massive buffet or do a buffet for the adults and then put the kids stuff on the plates, just a sarnie crisps biscuit etc and give them out pre-plated- but I don't know whether I will have the room to store and whether I am making more work for myself. What would you do?

Any suggestions welcome x x
* TTC since 2006
* no response to met, clomid, injections
* IVF, 3 eggs, 1 embryo, beautiful daughter born 2008
* IVF #2 Nov 2012, 5 eggs, 1 embryo, BFN
* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TryingAgain

Postby Dottywot » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:52 pm

For DD's birthday last year, I did the pizzas etc the night before and covered the platters and popped them in the fridge, and I made the sandwiches up in the morning. I kept the food the same for everyone (who doesnt like party food!) and let everyone help themselves! as there are more folk with allergies/intolerances so thought it best not to serve up the food!

I'm not sure about the jelly in papercups! I guess it would depend on how strong they are! Maybe you could use plastic cups and then pop a jelly sweet on top, like a spider or snake!

xx
Diagnosed - 2002
TTC for 5 years - BFP :) March 2008
Metformin - 23 October 2010
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby Sammi » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm

I personally wouldn't leave anything with meat in (no matter how processed!) out over night. Maybe cook them the night before, cover and put in the fridge?

Also, why not see if you can get some of the other adults to bring a plate of sandwiches each? They are the faffy bit!

I would go for plastic cups, maybe just clear ones so you can see the green jelly, and put jelly spiders in or something?

I have helped cater several homemade buffets like this in the past year, and if I can give you one piece of advice, it would be to make half as much as you think you need! There is always tons left over! If the very worst happens and you find you are feeding a bunch of gannets, order a few pizzas in.

xxx
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Return to Off Topic