Carpet Beetles :-(

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Carpet Beetles :-(

Postby gnatalie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi guys, does anyone know how to get rid of carpet beetles?

It looks like I have them, well the larvae at the moment anyway. I found some larvae skins in some of my cross stitch fabric, so I sorted through everything and found some larvae. I've also found some in/on the chair thats next to where I keep my cross stitch stuff. I've had a good hoover, but from what I've read on the net I probably haven't seen the last of them! I have wooden floors not carpet, so don't need to worry about them getting into a carpet. I'm most concerned with them being in the chair really.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated! I'm getting a little stressed about them! Thanks!
gnatalie

Postby petsnponies » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:13 am

Hiya,

I had to deal with a different 'insect' matter this week. My poor chickens had an infectation of red mite in their house.

Anyway I use this stuff called 'Diatom' which is a fine powder which dessicated the bugs and kills them. It hoovers up nice and easy so (as we brought a load of red mite in to our house by accident) I sprinkled it all over before we went to bed.

Maybe worth a try?

Some info:

http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

x x x
Type 1 diabetes. DH SA OK. Natural ovulation. Tubes clear. 1000mg Metformin.
IVF Funding approved! Clomid in the mean time!
11/07/11 - BFP!! :)
petsnponies

Postby Sammi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:14 am

I have no idea! Ive never even heard of them.

Does google come up with any products like spray or powders to kill them? I'm sure a steam cleaner would do no harm either if you already have one.

If you can't find much out, maybe ring a local pest control company for advice. There maybe a really simple solution before you waste your money on expensive products.

Sorry I'm no help! Hope you get it sorted x
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby gnatalie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks, I'll check that out petsnponies. where did you get it from?

I've googled how to get rid of them, but it just comes up with really expensive stuff, so I thought I'd try cheaper options first! A couple of sites said to try cedar moth balls, so I've got some of those to put in my drawers with my cross stitch stuff, and I've washed all my cross stitch fabric. That doesn't solve the problem of the chair though. ah well, I'll see what I can find, and maybe try that diatom stuff!
gnatalie

Postby petsnponies » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:37 am

Hiya,

I got mine from a local pet/farm supplies shop, but I recon if you look on ebay for 'diatom' there will be lots on there. Its not expensive at all so definatley worth a go. I'd probably buy at least 2/3 tubs so you can sprinkle it everywhere.

Good luck hope you get rid of them!

X X X
Type 1 diabetes. DH SA OK. Natural ovulation. Tubes clear. 1000mg Metformin.
IVF Funding approved! Clomid in the mean time!
11/07/11 - BFP!! :)
petsnponies

Postby gnatalie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks petsnponies! I'll have a look and see what I can find.
gnatalie

Return to Off Topic