Early menopause?

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Early menopause?

Postby widget » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 am

I didnt know which section to put this. Its a health question but unrelated to PCOS. Could I be going through the menopause at the age of 33? My periods have got lighter and closer together. I get hot for no reason when im usually a cold person. I wake up covered in sweat several times each night. I get headaches, joint pain, palpetations and nausia - all syptoms aparently.

I made the mistake of googling it and obviously if you look up an illness on the internet you come away thinking you are dying of it! :lol:

I have seen the doctor with the symptoms and was told it is either depression or anxiety and to go away basically. Its been going on for a long time though. The night sweats are now so bad I wake my boyfriend up in the night because of the heat coming off me and I make the bed damp. Yuk!

I have read that you can have a hormone test to check but not if you are on the pill, which I am. Does anyone have any experience of early menopause? I am 34 in 2 weeks and not got round to having a baby yet so the menopause is the last thing I want to be racing against. I am going to the doctor tomorrow so will mention it but she tends to brush me off quite well and I get embarrassed and dont feel able to push the issue.
widget

Postby Kasha » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 am

Seems like your symptoms are quite general and can probably be attributed to your pcos or thyroid or something like that.
I find it a bit poor that your wories have just been brushed off without trying to find out what the cause is. I'm also concerned that you're having palpitations and the doc just says its anxiety. It might be something else and it wouldn't cause too much of a problem to refer you even for a blood test or heart trace to see whats going on. It really annoys me that docs assume everything is anxiety or depressiom without investigating the medical possibilities first.

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby widget » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Well the last time I went I was very depressed and was too upset to push the matter. This time I am not as depressed so hopefully I will be able to assert myself. I had a blood test maybe 9 months ago which I think was to check my thyroid although I am not sure. It came back ok. The palpetations are really bad sometimes and I cant breathe because it feels like that weightless feeling you get as you go off the top of a rollercoaster if you know what I mean?

I did have terrible nausia but have been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck and since I have been going for physiotherapy it has lessened immensely. Who would have thought a bad neck would make you feel sick?!
widget

Postby beaglelady » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:09 pm

Widget

Your gp needs to go a full hormone profile on you - oestrogen, progesterone, testosterone. I am possibly peri menopausal myself after having surgery and was in an artificial menopause last year for several months too.

A badneck can make you feel off colour too as I have neck trouble sometimes and can feel v rough with it.
had the lot pcos endometriosis, adenomyosis and fibroids. now in early surgical menopause.
beaglelady

Postby widget » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:06 am

Well I went to the doctor and saw someone new. He agrees that something is off. He says it could simply be depression or anxiety but he wants to rule out physical conditions first. I am booked for a blood test at the end of this week. Im not allowed to eat anything from mid night. He is checking my hormones (said it doesnt matter that I am on the pill?), for diabetes, thyroid function and I think some general stuff. I have to see him a week after that for the verdict which is positive as its the first time I have been asked to come back in for the results. Normally I have to phone in and the receptionist says its all fine and no action needed so then I still feel just as poorly but with no answers!

If it is the menopause, is it too late to have children?
widget

Postby Mojito » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:45 pm

If you have a AMH test to check your ovarian reserve this is not affected by the pill and is the most accurate test in terms of being pre-menopausal and measuring how many eggs you have left. Good luck x
IVF#1 - Jan 08 - BFP - DD born sleeping at 32+2 - forever in our hearts
IVF#2 - March 09 - BFP - DS born November 2009
IVF#3 - April 2011 - BFP - Early Miscarriage
IMSI - October 2011 - BFP twin girls born June 2012
Mojito

Postby widget » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm

Well I had the blood test and when I called to book to see the doctor to get my results I was told all fine and not to come back in. So I havent bothered going back as there seems little point.
widget

Postby Cloudyrain » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:37 pm

I have similar symptoms and thought the same. However, when I got my PCOS diagnosis my GP said "well that explains things". Although it was only recently after reading a post on here about night sweats that i actually linked that to the PCOS. It might he worth going back and asking for an endocrinologist referral?x
Diagnosed PCOS and Endometriosis in 2011 after 15 years fighting!

Next East Mids Meet Ups: Sunday 29th July and Sunday 23rd September at 3pm, Nottingham Knight Pub

Remember: Smear tests save lives!x
Cloudyrain
Local Group Leader

Postby ladyp » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:48 am

Was it my post Cloudy rain about the night sweats?

You see when I went to the docs for the first time I was convinced that I was going through early menopause but I think she's dismissed that now but I'm not convinced I'm not I didn't really dare question her on anything tho I was just in a daze. After doing the hormone tests and the ultrasound she told me I had pcos but my symptoms are very similar to Widgets.

She just told me to see how I go for the minute well obviously I'm still going to be feeling unwell :roll: I also got told I may be depressed well I was verging on suicidal but I wasn't gonna give her the satisfaction of admitting that one cos I'd already brought myself back from the brink lol. When I was thinking of getting myself some anti depressants she was on holiday :x

God that AMH test sounds interesting but to be honest I'm not too sure I want to know if I'm going through early menopause it will just depress me even more.

I think once we've got these symptoms tho we are stuck with them sad but true I can't see myself feeling any better at the moment.
ladyp

Return to Off Topic