Yarling cat!

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Yarling cat!

Postby Kasha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and has any advice or idea what it is?
I have a 2 1/2 yr old female cat, who was spayed at 6 months old. We have had her since she was 6 months old. Since yesterday she has started properly caterwauling (dont know if thats spelled right !) she has never done it before. She is fine in herself otherwise. Eating, playing, using the tray, purring her head off as usual. She doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort.
She is making the same npise that my tom makes when he is about to bring up a hairball or be sick tho he only does it for 10 minutes not 2 days! Or when he is carrying my socks around. I used to have another cat who made a similar noise when she was carrying my socks around too lol but hazel isnt going after my underwear lol just making the noise. Obviously if she seemed unwell shed be straight to the vets and i might give them a ring if she doesnt stop. But wondered if anyone has had it before?

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kinky Afro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi,

We have a 9 year old spayed female and she makes that noise sometimes for no reason - have never worked it out but she's fine. She also does it sometimes when she has 'caught' something from the neighbours bins and is keen to let us know - it's always bread or potato skins!!!
Kinky Afro

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Thats what i thought at first as that is what my tom does when he's carrying my socks around. But she's been doing it for 3 days now and is now acting as though she is in heat, rubbing on the furniture, rolling on the floor and driving my poor tom mad i think. I've had to seperate them this morning, as he was battering her she's obviously annoying him.
She's never done this before, and was spayed at 6 months old.
Have to see what occurs. Certainly hope its not going to be a regular occurence! Will ring the vets if it doesnt settle down.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Hols969 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:30 pm

I wonder if it is somehow down to the introduction of the new baby and from when you brought her home. I presume cats are preg for about 9 weeks (if they are like dogs). Our cat only did it when she had caught a mouse or something. Maybe she is hormonal even tho she has been spade. Wonder if there is another cat in season anywhere near you which has triggered it off?

Is she doing it constantly tho? or just occasionally over the last few days?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Kinky Afro » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:23 pm

When I think back, our now 9 year old did that for quite a long time after she was spayed as well - acting like she was on heat. I had forgotten all this, but I remember panicking the first time she did it and rushing her off to the vets, thinking that she had been hit by a car or something as she kept crouching low and presenting herself. I think the vet said it was hormonal. She has always been maternal - she babies one of our male cats, who is 7 - when he comes in, particularly when in from the rain, he will cry until she comes over to wash him!
Kinky Afro

Postby Kasha » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Holly she's not been bothered about Teaghan at all, it really hasn't phased her. TBH i don't think she's even gone up to her in the chair or anything. My tom has had a good sniff at her but he's not particularly bothered either, his behaviour hasn't changed at all. We didn't have her when Caoimhe was this small tho so nothing to compare that to.
We also don't let them out at all, not that she's ever shown interest in going out, so she's not in contact with any other cats.

She seems to be calming down a bit now so it must be hormonal, and that's exactly how it did appear especially yesterday. If it keeps happning i will have a word with the vet in case they can suggest so ething because it cant be nice dor her and its certainly not nice for the rest of us!

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Return to Off Topic