Any HR Experts who can answer a quick question please?

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Any HR Experts who can answer a quick question please?

Postby Jabee » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering if there are any HR experts here who can answer a question for me please?

I have recently returned to work on a phased return after being signed off for 5 weeks due to work related stress.

I have decided my health has to come first and I need to look for another job.

When my company is asked for a reference would anyone know if they will tell the new company I have been off for 5 weeks & if this may then result in an offer being retracted? I seem to remember there are very strict rules around what can & can't go into a reference but can't remember the specifics.

Thankyou!

J x
Jabee

Postby ellenholmes » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Companies aren't allowed to bad references and I think that they aren't allowed to discuss anything with anyone else without written consent. When I had been off for a while at my previous in employers they wanted to contact my doctor and had to get me to sign a form to confirm they could. Usually when companies go for references they usually send a set questionnaire
First fertility appointment 15th November 2013
Levothyroxine 50mg 1 a day 10/09/2013
Diagnosed with under active thyroid 10/09/2013
Folic acid 400mg a day 16/07/2013
Bloods and swabs done 17/07/2013
ttc since 2007

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
ellenholmes

Postby Hols969 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:07 pm

I think it depends on what they ask to be honest. I think if they specifically ask if you have had sick days in the last year then your employers can answer. If they are just asking for a general reference tho then as ellen says, they arent allowed to do bad references (which sort of defeats the object I think as the new employer will never quite know how good you are, which is frustrating if you are!!)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Off Topic