Pet Rats!

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Pet Rats!

Postby Lexa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Okay so the landlord has allowed me to keep 'small caged rodents' I am therfore going to get rats .. i know they are a bit bigger than small but im sure it will be okay. I just dont want to say rat as their is such a stigma.

Any advise? Which type to get? Going to save up to get a really decent cage so have time to think :)
Diagnosed : 25/04/08
Diabetes - type 2
Metformin 1500mg
Aged 25
Lexa

Postby petsnponies » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:34 am

Hiya,

I used to have rats they're really lovely pets. I would advise to get 2 females (the boys have HUGE b*ll*cks and tend to pee on you) and get a good cage which had solid (ie plastic) platforms rather than mesh/wire. (I had a rat that got its legs stuck through the wire and fell - he ended up breaking his leg and had to be put to sleep :( )

Try to feed them a good diet too. They LOVE junk food but keeps the treats small rather than making up a large portion of their diet with them. It seems to affect their health when they have a crap diet. Just like us really!

I just brought mine from a local pet shop. I wanted to do this rather than buy a 'fancy' breed as I knew lots of the rats from the pet shop would be brought by snake owners.

They're really easy to tame and have lovely natures, and really clever too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHx7dp230w

You're making me want to go and buy some now lol! x x x
Type 1 diabetes. DH SA OK. Natural ovulation. Tubes clear. 1000mg Metformin.
IVF Funding approved! Clomid in the mean time!
11/07/11 - BFP!! :)
petsnponies

Postby Lexa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:40 am

bhwhaaoweofkms that link is awesome, I really cant wait (damn stupid holiday) haha going to edinburgh next week and cant them til I get back.. but still really looking forward to the holiday and the rats.. ha.

there is a place near me called aquatic finatic and they sell all kinds of animals from fish to tarantulas to rabbits etc and they have rats but can get hairless ones for 25 pound.. so torn?!

advise noted on the sex of them, dont think I want peeing on all of the time! lol
Diagnosed : 25/04/08
Diabetes - type 2
Metformin 1500mg
Aged 25
Lexa

Postby louisap » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Lexa,

Rats make great pets! I have had both male and female rats over the years. Girls tend to be smaller and more active where as boys are bigger and slower but yes as Petsandponies said they do dribble a bit of wee every now and again :(

There is a really good rat forum, lots of good advice and you will be able to have look at pictures of the different varieties around to help you choose, also ratty stuff for sale too. http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/

Hope this helps you!
PCOS Diagnosed July 2009
Me: 25 OH: 27

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2c3ffb
louisap

Return to Off Topic