baby/child piercing

A place to discuss all non-related PCOS topics

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

baby/child piercing

Postby jazzy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Hiya, I’m interested to know what anyone thinks of baby/child piercing. I think there should be a legal upper age limit on it (like tattooing), maybe younger than tattooing, but at least when the child is mature enough to decide for themselves and discuss with parents/carers about it. I think this should be regardless to parental permission. I have NEVER approved of particularly baby piercing myself because babies and young children don’t know or understand infection risks, can easily move their heads whilst gun is going in which is dangerous, also soreness they and can easily accidentally catch/rip (ear or other) piercings out or eat the small parts especially without being watched closely. I have to admit I felt VERY angry and distressed last week when I witnessed a baby about to have her ears pierced in Caire’s (of all places :shock: )... Upset, I challenged it but was told it was legal which I know, and the mother didn't seem to care at all... said she'd given parental permission and if I didn't like it, to leave. I left, genuinely and visibly upset and angry (cried outside the shop). I also feel that no legal upper age limit on baby piercing (particularly for ears) also allows parents to exploit their children by just using them/the procedure as a fashion accessory without any care or thought to after effects . What are other people's thoughts on this? XX
Diagnosed with PCOS at 17.
Anti Depressants feb 09
OFF Anti Depressants june 09 :)
Personality: Kind and sensitive but can be fiesty
Cerazette June 2011
Micronor Aug 2011
AD's 13/03/12 after 2 years, nine months off them (citalopram again)
off citilopram 01 Aug 2012
jazzy

Location: Derby termtime at uni, South East, Kent during holidays

Postby shinycat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Years and years ago I worked at Claire's and had a certificate in ear-piercing (!). I seem to recall the only criteria was the baby had to have had all their jabs. One time a lady came in with a baby about 6 months old. I was really nervous as had never pierced a young child before. The mother said to me before I started "what is your opinion on piercing babies ears?" and I told her that although I was happy to do it as an employee of Claire's, I personally disagreed with it and felt it should be left until the child is old enough to decide for themselves, when they can understand the pain involved. She thought about it for a minute, then said "thanks for being honest" and took her baby away! I felt quite proud, however decided not to tell my boss!
shinycat

Postby hannahboo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Don't have time for a proper reply as just getting ready for little miss' bed time but I TOTALLY disagree with it. I think it is disgusting that people would put their own baby/child through that with out their consent, which realistically they wouldn't be old enough to constant/understand properly until they were at least school age. I head to wait until I was about 10-11 and Darcy will have to wait too as there is no way I would give consent for her to have any piercings until I felt she was old enough to understand.

This is a very controversial topic though and lots of people do love to have their little ones ear pierced. I recently feel out with my cousin because she was boasting all over Facebook about getting her 7 month old sons ear pierced because she thought it looked cute :? she asked if I liked it. I said NO and she went off on one at me :roll:

There will be people here who like it though so I hope not to offend people with my reply, but it is not something I would willingly do or approve of myself :D
hannahboo

Postby hope07 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Its a personal choice, but I really don't like it, I think babies ears are cute just the way they are-
7 -1st Trimester M/C's- TTC since Oct 05

Mummy to two beautiful children
1 DS- IVF
1 DD- Natural BFP
hope07

Postby shinycat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 pm

I always worry as Lorna wears a teething necklace that people think it is a fashion accessory! So many times people will comment "oh your baby is wearing a necklace" and I have to explain over and over again what it is for! I am not making my baby wear jewelery just because it looks nice :roll: .
shinycat

Postby DawnyB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:43 pm

I love piercing myself - and had about 30+ piercings for a while (down to 18 just now) but would never pierce a child's ears until they are old enough to care for them and understand it. - I didn't get my ears done until I was 9, and had begged for a year - I had no bother, but my wee sister was allowed hers done at 7, and had so many problems that she took them out and never bothered again.

I like the look of piercings in adults (my darling OH has his ear pierced) but think they look wrong in children. Children are beautiful and just perfect without any adornments.
MrsB was time for a name change :)

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity

ImageImage

Ranty mum diary - my blog
DawnyB
Verity Admin

Postby Kasha » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:50 pm

Totally against it. I think that children should be at least atsexondary sxhool for ears and 18 for anything else. I've lost count of the number of kids i've had to look after with butterflies stuck in their ears, or where the earring nas been ripped out.
My niece has just had her nose pierced at 14, i did challenge my sil and her answer was that she would just have gone on and on about it if she hadn't let her have it done :shock: I have mine pierced but tbf i was 25 and well able to make my own decisions and undstand the consequences of my actions!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby hannahboo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:52 pm

shinycat wrote:I always worry as Lorna wears a teething necklace that people think it is a fashion accessory! So many times people will comment "oh your baby is wearing a necklace" and I have to explain over and over again what it is for! I am not making my baby wear jewelery just because it looks nice :roll: .

Haha me too :D
hannahboo

Postby petsnponies » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 am

Im not against piercings in general (my brother has lots of them!) but I think its terrible that children can have it done and cant believe its allowed at all. I really cant imagine how a parent could put a baby through pain that is totally unnecessary.

And besides, babies are pretty perfect as they are!

x x x
Type 1 diabetes. DH SA OK. Natural ovulation. Tubes clear. 1000mg Metformin.
IVF Funding approved! Clomid in the mean time!
11/07/11 - BFP!! :)
petsnponies

Postby Sammi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:32 pm

My gorgeous god-daughter had hers done two weeks ago and I hate them :-( She cried when they are being cleaned and it breaks my heart!

I had my ears pierced when I was 10 because I pestered and pestered and pestered my mother until she took me to the jewellers. They did it one ear at a time and my mum said she knew I wanted to burst into tears at the pain, but being my stubborn self I held them back. I then used to complain the cleaning fluid stung. But my mum would say 'I did tell you it would sting before you had them done, but you still wanted them done. Now they are done they have to be cleaned or they will get infected. So head down please and let me clean them, or I will take them out forever.' I stopped complaining then.

Moral of the story, when the child is old enough to understand that sometimes something good comes of pain, then they can have their ears pierced. Before then its just inflicting pain on the child for purely for the mothers benefit (as a 10 month old doesn't appreciate sparkly ears!).
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby georgie76 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm

Interesting no-one here in favour yet. I'm totally against it. It looks awful and cheap. Babies and children are beautiful naturally don't need to be adorned. There must be a consent issue in anyone under 16. Why someone would want to cause pain to their child is beyond me.

As others have said, I too am not against piercings on adults.
Diagnosed PCOS in 1996
TTC number 2 since 2005
Surprise BFP 8th April. Delivered 26th Nov 2011

georgie76

Postby Dottywot » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:45 pm

I love piercings & tattoos but on people who have made the choice themselves and at age where they actually understand what they are saying! A girl I know got her DDs ear pierced after saying that her daughter wanted it done! Her wee one was 18 months and would say yes to any question she was asked!!

I got my ears done when I was 10, and it was the biggest waste of time, as I rarely wear earrings!

I think it looks awful in babies, and couldn't bare to watch it get done, no wonder you were so upset!

I wonder if anyone on here thinks other wise.... It would be interesting to get another side to the story.
Diagnosed - 2002
TTC for 5 years - BFP :) March 2008
Metformin - 23 October 2010
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby joeyrella » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:09 pm

I hate it, my cousin had her daughter's done at about five months.

Most mothers' natural instinct is to protect their child from unnecessary pain and suffering at all costs. I can't begin to understand why people put their babies through it. I felt like crying when my baby had his vaccinations, but obviously that's for his own good. There is no benefit to a baby from having holes punched in their ears.
TTC since Sept 06
PCOS, septate uterus, cervical surgery, hubby has low sperm count
9 cycles of clomid BFN
IUI no.1 sept 09 BFN IUI no.2 Jan 10 BFP
Baby born Nov 2010
joeyrella

Postby lianeb » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I had mine done at about 7/8 with my sis who was a year older than me and she went first and screamed the shop down and had to wait with 1 ear done whilst I got both mine done before she would have the 2nd one done! :lol:
I haven't worn earrings for a long time now as I have 1 ear that really hurts with costume and silver jewellary.

However a few of my friends have had their baby daughters ears pierced. They took their girls at 4 mths and told the piercer that they were 6 mths and no one asked to see proof or anything. I believe 6mths was the min in claires etc.

I think its personal choice but I wouldn't do my daughters (if I had any) as a baby but wouldn't try to stop someone else doing it to their child.
Me and OH are 29/28 together 12 yrs TTC 8yrs
Dec 2009 - BFP (Clomid 100mg) MMC - Feb 2010 (7-12 weeks)
May 2011 - BFP (natural) MC - June 2011 (7 wks)
Aug 2011 - BFP (natural) MC - Aug 2011 (6 wks) - Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism
March 2012 - BFP (natural) MC - April 2012 (7 wks)
December 2012 - BFP (natural) still fighting due 14th August 2013
Henry William born 26th August 2013

lianeb

Postby Gnomes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:27 am

It's not something I've really thought about, tbh, but I've had mine done since before I started primary school.

I wanted it done - I remember nagging and nagging and nagging. I don't think my mum was particularly keen, but my dad took me without her knowing and got them done. I remember crying after they'd done one ear and beings asked whether I wanted them to stop, but told them to do it because I didn't want to look like a boy!

I don't remember ever complaining about the cleaning etc.

I then had my ears pierced another 4 times when I was in my teens, but again, never had any problems with them.

I don't know how I'd feel about my own child's ears being pierced, though...
Life may not be the party you expect, but now you're here, you may as well dance!

My Ovulation Chart
Gnomes

Next

Return to Off Topic