Pregnant and diagnosed with gestational diabetes

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Pregnant and diagnosed with gestational diabetes

Postby littlemissmessy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:33 am

I have had PCOS for 20+ years. Fertility treatment for 1st baby. I am now pregnant with 2nd baby naturally. I have recently been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. The Diabetes Consultant advised this was caused by my PCOS and my BMI. Then I had to see Obstetric head Consultant, his word’s to me were ‘you know why you are diabetic is because you are overweight’, I said ‘yes and I have been told also because I have PCOS’ he said ‘you only get PCOS if you are overweight and because you are overweight you have caused the gestational diabetes’. I feel like a total failure. I have been trying hard for the last year or so to change my lifestyle and diet. I really feel the doctor is trying to shame me. I would also like to add he is the same consultant that repeatedly refused me fertility treatment for trying for a second baby.
Last edited by littlemissmessy on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
littlemissmessy

Re: Pregnant and diagnosed with gestational diabetes

Postby littlemissmessy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:36 am

P.S. I never had gestational diabetes with my 1st baby.
littlemissmessy

Postby littlemissmessy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:15 am

Thank you all for your replies, nice chatting to you all, I am so overwhelmed.
littlemissmessy

Postby woody » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 pm

Sorry I've just seen this and didn't want to not reply.
I'm sorry you've been diagnosed with g.d. I had my gtt test on Tuesday so waiting for the results now.
Your consultant sounds very insensitive and not at all helpful. Have they told you how they are going to treat it etc? I presume you'll need extra growth scans to check baby isn't growing too big.
It's rubbish that pcos is just caused by being overweight. I'm normally a size 8 and have pcos, as are quite a lot of women on here. There is a link because from what I've read pcos can cause weight gain but I really don't think it's helpful that he put you down like that.
I'm sorry you feel like a failure, g.d. isn't just caused by pcos. My best friend had it last year and she wasn't overweight, nor did she have pcos.
I hope you get some answers soon, do you have a good gp you can go and see and ask for some advice?
Sorry I've not been of much help just didn't want to not reply xx
woody

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood