Night time potty training

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Night time potty training

Postby espoir » Fri May 09, 2014 7:22 pm

We just started potty training DS and in general it's gone well. Still a few accidents some days but not too bad. I'm unsure what to do about night time. He doesn't want to wear nappies anymore, but I don't think he's ready to go through the night without. It's breaking my heart forcing him to wear them, as it feels we're going backwards when he's ready to move forward. Should I use pull-ups for night time? What has everyone else done?
espoir

Re: Night time potty training

Postby Yvette75 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:28 pm

My eldest who will be 6 in August is only just 100% dry at night but never complained about wearing a nappy. He sleeps very deeply and never woke for a wee in the night.

Night training will only happen when a sufficient hormone is at sufficient levels. For some children this will happen at age 2 but night wetting is not uncommon at 5/6 years old and beyond.

My 3.5 year old loves wearing a nappy for bed so no problem there either. we use cloth and she chooses the nappy and wrap to wear for bed!

If he is happy in pull ups then I would go with that to avoid confrontation. Put a potty next to his bed so he doesn't have to go far in the night and see how it goes.. If his pull ups are dry in the morning for a week or so then let him wear pants for bed. If still wet then stay with the pull ups/nappies until he is mature enough to be dry at night.
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby Sazwell » Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi honey
when ds turned 3 he decided he was too old to wear nappies and was fantastic from his 3rd Birthday onwards.. i can count on 1 hand the amount of accidents he's had! Like your ds he didnt want to wear nappies at night but we bought 'paper pants' and said they weren't nappies. He turned 4 yesterday and is still wearing them at night and they are wet most mornings. like Yvette's son my ds is a very deep sleeper and has only once/twice woke me to tell me he wants a wee!!! He on about not wearing them at night again after his birthday but told him until he is waking me up to go he needs to keep wearing them.
I'd just see how he goes hun he might just be one of the ones that can be dry.
You could try the 'paper pants' aporoach and see if he wakes you through the night or has any accidents?? Take your ds' s lead.. he might surprise you , but i wouldnt worry if he needs pull-ups at night i'm not, just glad he had no problems during the day xxx
Diagnosed PCOS 1998 - 2 rounds of clomid no o'v
150mg Clomid ov miracle BFP- Sept 08, Eptopic Oct 08
IVF #1March 09 BFN- short protocol IVF #2 long protocol BFP- 24/8/09 My miracle boy born 8/5/10- 2 blasts in the freezer!
May '12 FET 14.5.12 BFN 22.5.12
Awaiting next af to start Ivf #3 natural BFP 9.8.12 (shock????) no heartbeat mmc at 10weeks 21.9.12 x
Another natural miracle BFP 21.11.12?! (8 weeks after my erpc) x another miracle boy born 14.7.13 x
Sazwell

Postby espoir » Fri May 09, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks Yvette. Just worried with using pull-ups at night that will have an effect during the day. For example this evening he knew he was doing a poo, but he decided to do it in the pull-up rather than go on the potty. So, I'm afraid he will use the pull-ups more like nappies than pants, and then think he can pee in his pants during the day. I did start with pull-ups at night, but when he had a few days with a lot of accidents I decided to use nappies again instead, because I guess the distinction is better. But I think I'll try as you suggest, and just keep moving forward and see how ready he is.
Saz, what are paper pants? is that what you call pull-ups?? Yes, i think the best is to follow his lead, as it seems confusing to be encouraging him to go forward and then putting him back in nappies. He was more than ready to start day time training, but whether he's ready for night time or not I don't know...it's good to know that the pull-ups at night haven't had an effect during the day. Thanks xxx
espoir

Postby Sazwell » Fri May 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Yeah sorry we call night nappies 'paper pants'.. or hubby says night pants!! It never really confused ds as he knows not to wee in in them which is why I know he definitely cant control his bladder at night as he has no idea when he needs to go and NEVER wakes for a wee?!?! Xxxxx
Diagnosed PCOS 1998 - 2 rounds of clomid no o'v
150mg Clomid ov miracle BFP- Sept 08, Eptopic Oct 08
IVF #1March 09 BFN- short protocol IVF #2 long protocol BFP- 24/8/09 My miracle boy born 8/5/10- 2 blasts in the freezer!
May '12 FET 14.5.12 BFN 22.5.12
Awaiting next af to start Ivf #3 natural BFP 9.8.12 (shock????) no heartbeat mmc at 10weeks 21.9.12 x
Another natural miracle BFP 21.11.12?! (8 weeks after my erpc) x another miracle boy born 14.7.13 x
Sazwell

Postby michelle79 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:46 pm

I think by taking ds lead you will be fine. Daniel was dry at night a year after he was dry during the day and we just got Katie dry after her 5th birthday at night. Mine both day trained after age 3 with very few accidents and still wore pull ups at night time with no confusion. I felt a lot of pressure about getting Katie dry as she was 5 and even went back into pull-ups before her birthday after a run of wet beds but suddenly she has cracked it. I think some kids are dry night and day quite close and young (I was apparently) but I think some mums say their kids are dry when they're not, parents may lift them at bedtime etc so I wouldn't worry about it. Don't think it's considered unusual until kids are about 7
Michelle
TTC since May 08
1st round clomid 100mg - BFP 31/10/08

michelle79

Postby Tinker » Mon May 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Hi,
Both my boys potty trained in the day the month before their 3rd birthday but were you really different for nights. Ds1 stopped wearing night pants just before his 5th birthday. Ds2 went dry at night two weeks after doing it in the day. Both led by them.

Tinker
Starting 1st cycle of IVF December 07 - BFP Feb 1st
Toby George born 24.09.08
TTC no.2 since April 09
IVF 2 - BFP 16/3/10 - Joel Jacob born 26.11.10
Tinker

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Mon May 12, 2014 12:51 pm

I doubt wearing a nappy at night will cause daytime confusion as children aren't usually dry at night at the same time as they are in the day, and it can take varying amounts of time for that to happen.

With my eldest, he was dry at night within 6 weeks of being dry in the day (he was about 2 yrs 9 months). There were no problems with him wearing a nappy just at night, it didn't impact on the daytime at all.

With my youngest, he's been dry in the day for a while now but still wears (and thoroughly wets) a nighttime nappy - he's 3 now and I'm happy to let this continue until he's 5+ if need be. Again, there's no impact on being dry in the day at all.

Best to be led by them, it leads to untold stress otherwise!
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Postby espoir » Thu May 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanks all. I've stuck with the pull-ups. The thing that concerns me is that he loves them, and would rather wear them than pants, even during the day. We did have a few nights of dry nappies when he was wearing regular ones, and I'm just wondering if wearing the pull-ups mean he doesn't need to bother thinking about getting up to go. I'm just going to follow his lead anyway, maybe watch bedtime drinking, and see what happens. Totally agree no point getting into arguments, and that it'll happen when it happens.
espoir

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood