dressing-am i expecting too much?

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

dressing-am i expecting too much?

Postby michelle79 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 am

Hi
My two are very nearly 5 and for ages Daniel has got himself completely dressed for school, including buttons. I am starting to have battles with Katie. Im not sure if its just her personality or cos she's immature from being premature but she cries very easily about lots of things, especially when she thinks she can't do something. I worked hard with them at getting dressed before they started school as they would need to do it for PE. Our issue is tights and socks! She puts her foot in and if it doesn't go straight on she just keeps pushing at it then has a paddy! Should I really still have to be doing these things? They were inside out this morning so obviously i turned them the right way, it just winds me up so much that she can do it but is too lazy! I left her having her strop in the kitchen and came back and she had them on so i know she can do it. Am i being mean or should i encourage more independence? She has a way of manipulating people to do things for her (my mum, teachers, DH). She is small and cute and they hear her cry and rush to her aide. My problem is she cries so often that i just don't rush to her anymore unless it's a piercing scream! Yesterday she had bit the side of her mouth which from personal experience is very painful but she did her whiney cry so i didn't rush. It's like the boy that cried wolf. What do you think the best way forward is? Just get her dressed to avoid the hassle, ignore the crying (it does wind me up but i could try!). She even got praise at school for going a whole day without crying!
Thanks
Michelle
TTC since May 08
1st round clomid 100mg - BFP 31/10/08

michelle79

Re: dressing-am i expecting too much?

Postby pearl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:15 am

Mila dements me on a morning, all i seem to say is "get ready mila" "hurry up" "mila" i get sick of my own voice haha I think you should just keep pushing forward with it, it seems our girls are just lazy and like us doing things for them. Mila is too easily distracted, i turn off the tv now and its not as bad. I think your doing the right thing and she will sharp learn your not going to jump at the slightest thing :)
Loves being a mammy to my fantastic little girly Mila x x x
pearl

Postby Hols969 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:08 am

Noah is 8 and still struggles with his socks, I think he is just being lazy actually as he can do them. I think do what works for you, if it really stresses you out then you do it for a bit, or compromise and she does half and you do half, if you can cope with it, leave her to do it!! Its not a good start to the day when its stressed though as puts you in the wrong frame of mind!!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby michelle79 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:30 am

I know what you mean. i had bad mother feelings for at least 2 hrs this morning! It's all made a lot worse as my DH is away with work as a favour to a colleague having troubles so everything is down to me. Maybe i'll compromise and do half and half which i have done before, it's not really nice having conflict when i only see her for 45mins before school :(
TTC since May 08

michelle79

Postby Hols969 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:55 am

They do push those buttons !!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby michelle79 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi
Good news! Did the compromise that if she does one sock without crying then I will do the other one. She has done this and today after swimming she put them both on. Gave her loads of praise so hopefully that's all over now!
Thanks ladies
TTC since May 08

michelle79

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood